Scandinavian Storage Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who is into the pressurized vs. unpressurized debate, here's an equivalent graph for my unpressurized storage. The heat exchanger and relatively high return temps from the zones destroy the stratification. Pressurized storage and radiant is a much better solution.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 266
Hello
Nice graph nofossil
The colours in my graph maybe needs a explanation

Blue bottom of tank
Red middle of tank
yellow top of tank
Green water temp to the radiant
Pink outside temp

I will connect electricity meter to the graph to.

Nice to se the temp in the system when you are at work :)

Hansson, Aprox. 500 gallon pressurized tanks are typical in Sweden, correct?

Hansson, Looking at your other posts, it seems that in your piping systems the boiler just feeds storage, doesn't ever by-pass the tank and feed the heating zones. In other words, when the load is calling for heat, the boiler must heat the storage, and then the hot water from the storage tank satisfies the call for heat. Is this correct?

hmm The boiler feed the tank.The water in the tank goes to the radiators.
The boiler and the tank/radiators have the same water.

The heat on the water to the radiators is decide by the heat regulator that have a sensor in the house.
I am not sure if I aanswer your question.
My English is bad

You say the boiler feeds the tank, the tank feeds the radiators. Does the boiler ever skip the tank and directly feed the radiators?

Thanks Hansson, Over here many of us pipe our systems so when the load calls for heat, the tank is by-passed and the heating zone-zones are answered. That way we get heat faster.
There may be some merit to your way of piping. With 500 gallons of pressurized storage, you only have to keep the boiler going to bring storage up to high temp- as high as 200*. I wonder if heating through storage only is more efficient?

It's very much like my 'siplest pressurized storage' schematic, I think. The difference is that the boiler loop and the heating zone loop connect through the top of storage in Hansson's system rather that at a tee just above the top of the storage. Hydronically, very much the same since he has near-perfect stratification. He then mixes down the hot water to a lower temperature for the zones, depending on the outside temp.

Something is wrong whit the graph.
I connected my electric heater to the logger yesterday.Something got wrong
The LCD works
Ack top = top of tank
Ack bott =bottom of tank
Ack mitt= centre of tank

http://web.telia.com/~u88408780/lcd_acktank.jpg

I have some improvement's to do on the system.The insulation is really bad. 10cm on the sides and 15 on top.
And some otherthings to

Status
Not open for further replies.