Scary times at the GeeWizMan house...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
...as Mrs. GeeWizMan loaded the stove, while Mr. GeeWizMan was already in bed, and then she fell asleep waiting for the stove to get up to temp. I woke up to some loud hollering and ran downstairs to find part of the stove glowing red! Yowser! Yikes! and as I like to say, GeeWizMan!

We have been burning wood for nearly 20 years and have never seen a stove glow before. I had a little trouble sleeping last night as I got up to check on the stove often to see if there were any issues. Everything seems to be fine this morning with the stove kicking out some great heat. I do not see anything warped, but are there any other areas I should check? Concerns? How bad were we?

Oh my! I'm not sure what to check, but I will suggest setting a timer whenever Mrs GeeWizMan (and maybe Mr too) loads the stove. I set the kitchen timer because if I don't I get distracted, move a load of laundry, take the dogs outside, something and then realize it's 30 minutes later with the stove wide open. I used to have a really amazing memory but that started to fade in my 30's and is long gone now. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.