Scavenger hunt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Finally stopped to ask a neighbor what they planned to do with the two trees that had been lying in their front yard since before I moved in last summer. They told me to take them, which amounted to two full loads in my Dodge 1500. Largest rounds are 36" diameter, but most are 18" or under. Not sure on the species, or how much two pickup truck loads amounts to when split. I do know I was only 1" off the bump stops on the way home.

photo2.JPG photo1.JPG photo3.JPG

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Nice score, all you have to do is ask. Im not sure what it is either but its a hardwood and it supplies btu's.

I am guessing a maple variety from the pics but not sure which. Someone else will know exactly I am sure, especially if you post more picks. If maple, those rounds should split pretty easy, season fast and burn well for a mid-BTU wood. When green it is HEAVY but seasoned it lightens up to very managable wood. It looks to be drying up by the cracks in the ends of the splits so you are well on your way. Get it CSS'd and it will be ready this fall.

Thanks, Bob! Didn't seem so heavy when I was loading it, but maybe I was just full of adrenaline. The truck's rear springs, and my sore shoulders today, are telling me there was some weight in that load. Hoping to grab a second load of it tonight!

Looks like popple or a young cottonwood.

Might be cottonwood, but it wasnt young! Tree was over 30" diameter. Bark was very stringy and came off like many layers of paper. Brought home another 1200 lbs of it tonight. Tomorrow going to pick up a few truck loads of locust and ash. Might have to take some elm as well, but I'll avoid that if I can.

Thanks!

Weight for that load was about 1500 lb. in my 6.5 foot bed. So, not real light, but a was able to pick up 18" x 18" rounds, which I couldn't do with oak.

Brought home three more heaping pickup truck loads from another site today. Mostly oak, with a little Aspen, locust, boxwood and ash mixed in. Hoping to get a year ahead this summer. Might have to rent or buy a splitter, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.