Scavenging Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WarmGuy said:
Good advice on both sides. I called Caltrans this morning, and they said that as long as it was safe, I could take it. I recorded the conversation also, in case there's any issue.

This is an advantage in living in a rural area -- the government is less bureaucratic.

I got a full truckload

AirportRoad.jpg

and I'll go back for another on Sunday. I think I'll have to do some splitting then, to get the rounds small enough to lift.

The wood is out of sight unless you're on a bike, and I even missed it at first when looking for it. That's why no one else has gotten it yet.

Nice deal!

Well done, a scrounger with class!
Another vote for Beetlekills suggestion. A thankyou & 'here's my card' is appropriate & could be fruitfull. Even if they don't call you up they may remember you next time you see a possible score & call for permission.

Battenkiller said:
When I was a kid, the older guys I hung out with talked me into raiding the local apple orchard. When I came back all proud of myself, carrying a pillow case full of apples, my dad knew damn well what was up. He wanted to know if I asked the farmer if I could have them. Of course, I hadn't.

Then he proceeded to tell me about when he was a kid and came home with a bag of corn from a nearby farm. Even though it was the Depression, and my grandpa was feeding 8 kids on $12/wk digging ditches, he was furious that my dad had taken the corn without asking. Dad got hit with several ears square in the head before he made his escape.

My dad reached his hand into the bag of apples, and I went running. He was a catcher in his youth and had quite a throw to second. I didn't get far. ;-)

Guess this is why you don't steal firewood these days and bring it back to Dad, huh? I would hate to see the mark that a nice oak split would leave on the side of your head! ;) :) And yes . . . I'm kidding.

Battenkiller said:
When I was a kid, the older guys I hung out with talked me into raiding the local apple orchard. When I came back all proud of myself, carrying a pillow case full of apples, my dad knew damn well what was up. He wanted to know if I asked the farmer if I could have them. Of course, I hadn't.

Then he proceeded to tell me about when he was a kid and came home with a bag of corn from a nearby farm. Even though it was the Depression, and my grandpa was feeding 8 kids on $12/wk digging ditches, he was furious that my dad had taken the corn without asking. Dad got hit with several ears square in the head before he made his escape.

My dad reached his hand into the bag of apples, and I went running. He was a catcher in his youth and had quite a throw to second. I didn't get far. ;-)

A Good story and a good lesson . Taking it without asking is stealing .

Status
Not open for further replies.