Scents coming from the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dano25

Dec 31, 2017
Spartanburg SC
Hey guys I️ fired up my stove today after I hit it with a little hi heat stove paint on top. I️ noticed a smell and thought it was just the paint but then I️ saw this.

Scents coming from the stove

I️ shut the fire down immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of elbow is that?

What kind do I️ need? I️ think this is a vent for an hvac

I thought it looked like galvanized. That cannot be used for woodstoves. The fumes from it offgassing can be very harmfull. You need either stainless or plain old black pipe.

That appears to be galvanized HVAC ducting. You cannot use that. I'm always careful to blindly follow anyone's advice at the home stores.

Reactions: Dano25
dano, was the stove repainted? If it was, once you get the proper elbow in place and fire up the stove again, it's going to smell for the fire few hot fires. That will be the paint baking in. Open a window in the room and put a fan blowing outward to exhaust fumes. Otherwise your smoke detector will remind you of this.

dano, was the stove repainted? If it was, once you get the proper elbow in place and fire up the stove again, it's going to smell for the fire few hot fires. That will be the paint baking in. Open a window in the room and put a fan blowing outward to exhaust fumes. Otherwise your smoke detector will remind you of this.

Yes I just wire brushed and painted the top.

I️ saw that from a previous post. That helped a lot. Thanks!!

What does everyone mean when they say hot fires.

26 gauge pipe minimum. 24 or 22 is better. That 30 gauge crap they sell at Lowes and Home Depot is not for connector pipe but they sell it to everyone and tell them it'll work.

Reactions: Squisher
Yes I just wire brushed and painted the top.

I️ saw that from a previous post. That helped a lot. Thanks!!

What does everyone mean when they say hot fires.
When the stove top is over 500ºF. Take it up to 650F if you're comfortable for a good baking. Try to keep it under 750F max.

Enjoy the warmth!

Reactions: Dano25