SCF 050 owners....opinions please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibumm100

Feeling the Heat
OK SCF 050 owners, let's hear the good, bad and the ugly on your pellet furnaces. I am considering buying one to supplement my pellet insert to keep the oil hot air furnace switched off this winter. My house is a 2200 SF open floor plane, catherdral ceiling'd contemp with lots of glass. I have a dining room stuck on the back of the house above the furnace room. My "basement" is a 2-car garage under with a little extra space. Well insulated garage doors.

My insert is a St. Croix York rated at 40,000 btu and centrally located under the catherdral cieling part of the house. I keep my upstairs bedroom and bathroom doors closed during the day and they get pretty chilly. I was hoping to run a pellet furnace 24/7 and augment with the insert.

My understanding is that the SCF 050 is discontinued. There are some used ones around in the $2000-2200 range. I think a Harman PF100 or St Croix Revolution might fit the bill a little better, based on my SF, but they are close to double the cost and th PF100 might be a little big for the space I have available next to the oil monster. I iunderstand the SCF 050 is basically all manual operation. How many days/bags of operation do you get between clinker/ash dumpings. What happens if you don't dump and it fills up all the way?

Nobody???? I don't know how many 050's there are out there. Also looking to see how many people switched out their corn burn pots for the pellet burn pot. I'd like to get an idea on pellet consumption on the different settings in manual operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.