School me on fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
My wife has decided that we need a fireplace upstairs on our 2nd story. This would be starting from scratch no opening, no flue, ect. We have a nice wood burning stove on our 2st floor but would like something upstairs mostly for ambiance but would like to be able to heat the 1400 sq.ft. if need be. I want wood burning not pellet or gas. From what I have found the wood burning is cheaper than pellet and I'm not tearing into the recently finished ceiling and kitchen to install a gas line.

My plan is to use a zero clearance insert and build the surrounding to fit the insert. I don't need a big insert I was looking at the englander 13-nci but the manual states it must be a masonary fireplace for the insert so that's out of the equation unless someone can convince me otherwise to build a stone hearth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My wife has decided that we need a fireplace upstairs on our 2nd story. This would be starting from scratch no opening, no flue, ect. We have a nice wood burning stove on our 2st floor but would like something upstairs mostly for ambiance but would like to be able to heat the 1400 sq.ft. if need be. I want wood burning not pellet or gas. From what I have found the wood burning is cheaper than pellet and I'm not tearing into the recently finished ceiling and kitchen to install a gas line.

My plan is to use a zero clearance insert and build the surrounding to fit the insert. I don't need a big insert I was looking at the englander 13-nci but the manual states it must be a masonary fireplace for the insert so that's out of the equation unless someone can convince me otherwise to build a stone hearth.

What you want is a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. There is no reason to install a fireplace just to put an insert and liner in. A dedicated unit will look and work better

Alright sounds good, zero clearance it is. Any recommendations on brands and/or models for a smaller square footage? It seems most fireplace inserts are very large fireboxes.

Alright sounds good, zero clearance it is. Any recommendations on brands and/or models for a smaller square footage? It seems most fireplace inserts are very large fireboxes.

Again not an insert. You want a fireplace

There are some nice ~2 cu ft, high-efficiency ZC fireplaces made by RSF, Astria, & Pacific Energy that are worth looking at. If you want to have a fireplace that can be operated with the door open and a firescreen, that will narrow down the choices considerably.

Can you get away with an electric wall unit, that looks like a fireplace?

Just saying ;)

Reactions: Chas0218
Again not an insert. You want a fireplace
Ok got it fireplace.
There are some nice ~2 cu ft, high-efficiency ZC fireplaces made by RSF, Astria, & Pacific Energy that are worth looking at. If you want to have a fireplace that can be operated with the door open and a firescreen, that will narrow down the choices considerably.
I'll have the wife take a look at them, not sure if she wants to be able to have the doors open or not.

Been looking around, found the brand superior. Are these any good? Looking at the wrt4000 series with the 38" opening. It seems like it can be ran open or closed.

The wife liked the idea of being able to have the doors open with a screen for the "full effect".

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have been discussing this with my wife as well since both of us would like a fireplace upstairs for ambiance. We really like the Rumford style fireplaces, but that superior is sharp.

Reactions: Chas0218
My choice is the superior WRT3920. No open door burning and high efficiency. I don't like wasting all the work that went into harvesting my firewood. She'll understand.

I have been discussing this with my wife as well since both of us would like a fireplace upstairs for ambiance. We really like the Rumford style fireplaces, but that superior is sharp.
Yeah I just don't know much about them. Venting might be tough for me but should be able to figure it out.