School me....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without having done any looking, what are some of the most popular/easily kept up brands to look at? I understand that these stoves are not as efficient as new stoves, nor are parts as readily available. I am looking for a stove to burn on the weekends, cold days to help out the heating system/wallet, etc.

So, school me please :)

Most made; Fisher
Less maintenance; Fisher
Largest selection of models; Fisher
Parts? Yeah, we got those.

Attachments

• Draft Cap Bolts.jpg
    Draft Cap Bolts.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 315
  • Hinge Pins.jpg
    Hinge Pins.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Brass draft knob.jpg
    Brass draft knob.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Draft Caps 18.jpg
    Draft Caps 18.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 329
I love it. Enough said

I would add, Fisher knockoffs. There are a lot of nice Schrader, Timberline, etc. stoves out there for a low price that are well made, tough stoves.

So what is the basic differences between pre and post EPA? Is there some sort of database for exactly what models are out there from this manufacturer, and their specs?

Edit: Like the first sticky thread in this forum... Thanks

Top of page, many models are listed in the Hearth Wiki with their specs and info. EPA approved use different technologies like secondary burn of the smoke, but are more particular needing good dry fuel. Basic difference in stoves is cast iron or steel plate. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Steel plate being more durable.

No, ash pans were used on antique stoves to dump coal ashes in. Nothing to do with emissions. (what comes out the stack in the form of pollution) EPA means they pass smoke tests for Environmental Protection Agency. The government concerned about the air.
Basically any stove made after 1988 is EPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.