Schrader free standing wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot

Jan 12, 2007
Hello! This is my first post here. We live in Washington and are looking for a free standing wood stove, most likely used. When I was a kid we had a Schrader with a blower. The thing put out incredible amounts of heat. I have found a few Schrader's on Craigslist, newspapers and ebay but nothing with a blower. Here are my questions:

Any ideas on the Schrader with a blower?
Anything newer with the same amount of heating capacity, but more efficient? (likely used as well).
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Elliot

To buy used you should really know what to look for. You definitely want an EPA approved stove (manufactured after the early 90s). As another thread here mentions some of the big box stores have stoves on clearance right now. I have Lowe's near me and they are currently half off. Also, you are in the land of Travis Industries (makers of Lopi and Avalon stoves). If I were looking used (or new for a real high quality, dealer-supported product) in your neck of the woods I would be looking at those.

Most responders will probably recommend going through a dealer which is always a good idea if your budget allows.

MarkG

Elliot said:
Hello! This is my first post here. We live in Washington and are looking for a free standing wood stove, most likely used. When I was a kid we had a Schrader with a blower. The thing put out incredible amounts of heat. I have found a few Schrader's on Craigslist, newspapers and ebay but nothing with a blower. Here are my questions:

Any ideas on the Schrader with a blower?
Anything newer with the same amount of heating capacity, but more efficient? (likely used as well).
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Elliot

Welcome to the forum. I suspect the Schrader you remember was pre-EPA, and as such wouldn't be legal to install (and I understand that WA is tough about such things) You should read through some of the articles and forum threads about how to evaluate a used stove, then look for something more modern. Don't even consider any stove that doesn't have an EPA II certification label. Modern stoves burn far cleaner, and get more heat with less wood than the older units. (We have a couple of pre-EPA smoke monsters, they came with the house, and we would never buy them today, although they were good stoves when they were made...)

Gooserider

Yeah, Schrader is pretty ancient - just a big steel box.
If you are looking for a deal, check the thread here about wood stoves for $185. - you might not be able to find one that cheap, but most makers and even big box stores and hardware stores are overstocked right now and some deals and discounts can be found.

Since Wash. and OR. started regulating stoves as early as 1986, you should be able to find a clean burner, even used. Make certain you can install it in your jurisdiction.

yukiginger said:
Also, you are in the land of Travis Industries (makers of Lopi and Avalon stoves). If I were looking used (or new for a real high quality, dealer-supported product) in your neck of the woods I would be looking at those.
MarkG

County stoves are also manufactured in Wa. state, they make a very good stove, but for some reason do not get the recognition that Lopi/Avalon get. I live in Wa, and the majority of people that I know burn a Country stove, as do I, even though Travis is located very close to me

Elliot, welcome. There are lots of old Schraders, Orleys, etc. in the local market, but I think you'll want to get a newer generation stove. What's your budget? Which Craigslist are you watching, Seattle? Be patient, there are some great deals there. Keep your eye out for a nice condition, newer Country, Avalon or Lopi if you like steel stoves. If your budget can handle it, there are some nice new stoves that will go on sale soon too. Hint- search for woodstove as well as wood stove.

In the meantime, describe your setup. Include info on the house size, room size (that the stove is going in), how well insulated is the house, how is the stove going to be used (occasional or 24/7), exisiting heating systems, etc. Is there an existing stack or chimney or will it need a new one? If existing, please describe that too.

PS: this guy has been trying to sell this Country stove for awhile. It looks cosmetically neglected, but the owner says it has seen little use. Hard to be sure, but it looks like the one that Wrenchmonster recently installed (in Yakima area). Good price ($200) if all it needs is a wirebrushing and paint.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/hsh/259162491.html

and this is a good, new one too at $675
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/262154717.html

and this one is brand new for $650
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/262167868.html

Thanks to everyone for their response. The reason I ask, and it may be a bit premature, however, my wife and I plan on moving to Montana in a couple of years. The Kalispell area. When we move we will build a detached garage with a couple bedrooms up and a kitchen/living area on the main floor. We thought we could live here until we build the main house. My thought was to place a wood stove in the living/dining room area. probably no more than 1200 sq. foot. total.

So, no big hurry, but if the right stove comes along at the right price, would like to purchase and put in storage.

Thanks.

Elliot

There are some real winners if you keep a sharp eye out. I missed a great deal on an Isle Royale. Definitely a snooze ya lose kinda deal. Set your budget and compile a list of acceptible stoves and then mine the list at least twice a day.

In a new dwelling you'll definitely want a modern stove. Check for code requirements in Kalispell. For steel, it sounds like the mid-sized Country, Quad, Lopi, Avalon stoves would work well for you. I'd add PE, but I have never seen one used on the local Craigslist. I have seen some great deals on cast iron stoves and VC in particular though.

Oh Boy...now ya started a new thread BG...Never saw a PE Summit used for sale..wait till Roo and Hog see that statement.. lol... :roll:

I'd rent out my wife before I'd sell my Pacific Summit.

... "Oh hi hon, what am I typing? Nothin' important just checkin' the e-mail"(Gotta go guys)

hahaha.... :lol: needed that laugh....nice

Fist-o-Fury said:
Oh Boy...now ya started a new thread BG...Never saw a PE Summit used for sale..wait till Roo and Hog see that statement.. lol... :roll:

Nothin left to sell after a few seasons? ;-P

True true. Could also be a result of low sales in our area. I don't see any Englanders either :)

We did see a PE rebuild on the forum this season, so someone got a used one.

BeGreen said:
True true. Could also be a result of low sales in our area. I don't see any Englanders either :)

I told Bob Dillard, the fellow that designed my stove, that it was an erie fealing when I realized I was shopping for my last wood stove or at least I hoped it would be. His reply was "Your grand children will be burning that stove.".

BeGreen said:
There are some real winners if you keep a sharp eye out. I missed a great deal on an Isle Royale. Definitely a snooze ya lose kinda deal. Set your budget and compile a list of acceptible stoves and then mine the list at least twice a day.

In a new dwelling you'll definitely want a modern stove. Check for code requirements in Kalispell. For steel, it sounds like the mid-sized Country, Quad, Lopi, Avalon stoves would work well for you. I'd add PE, but I have never seen one used on the local Craigslist. I have seen some great deals on cast iron stoves and VC in particular though.

Now why in the world would anybody in there right mind sell there Pacific energy stove ? Not seeing any used ones for sale i guess would answer that . ;-)

BeGreen said:

I believe it came with the house he just bought.

PacificGuyInCNY said:
I'd rent out my wife before I'd sell my Pacific Summit.

... "Oh hi hon, what am I typing? Nothin' important just checkin' the e-mail"(Gotta go guys)

hahahahaha .............

Elliot said:
Thanks to everyone for their response. The reason I ask, and it may be a bit premature, however, my wife and I plan on moving to Montana in a couple of years. The Kalispell area. When we move we will build a detached garage with a couple bedrooms up and a kitchen/living area on the main floor. We thought we could live here until we build the main house. My thought was to place a wood stove in the living/dining room area. probably no more than 1200 sq. foot. total.

So, no big hurry, but if the right stove comes along at the right price, would like to purchase and put in storage.

Thanks.

Elliot

Sounds like another Lowes deal to me. Just make sure whatever you buy is compatible with your final location and sized correctly. Really good deals to be had right now, don't miss out. Good luck and welcome to Hearth.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.