1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Schrader Wood Stove age

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robin, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin

Robin New Member

Hello... I'm trying to find out the manufacture date and value of my Schrader Wood Stove. It's a Countess 1001A, ICBO3257, Serial No. 01659. Could anyone provide any tips as to where I might get this info, or possibly when the Shrader Stove Company went out of business. Many thanks. Happy heating!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Schrader like many small companies went out of business due to lack of funds for engineering and certification to comply to EPA standards or they could not produce compliant stoves. They were another smaller manufacturer making plate steel stoves that closed their doors in the late 80"s. How ever what are you asking for did you buy a home with one in place or came across one to help suplement your heat. I still may be able to help you .
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    The stove most likely dates from 1979-1980.....

It is unlikely you will find more than that, since the company is long gone...
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    As to value, it is worth the same thing my 1985 big hoss that heats our house is worth. Heating the house, priceless. To sell, scrap weight.
  5. Robin

Robin New Member

Tx for the info. Too bad about Schrader. It's a cute little stove. To answer your question, I bought a home with it in it. There is a local program that supports trading out old stoves for newer less polluting heat producers, but the old stoves must be pre 1987, hence my question. As much as I like the stove, it's not as efficient as others and my house has been quite cold this winter. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and any other info you might have. (I'm not sure what the difference between "fast reply" and "post reply" is so hope I've selected the right option.)
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Hmmm. Sounds like it is definatly a 1985 or 1986 stove to me then. ;-)
  7. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Robin do you need something official looking document to qualify for the swap program?
    As a Building inspector for my town, I could use their letter head and give the appearance of being official looking.
  8. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Surely it is pre-1987 =- no doubt!

Company was long out of biz by then. My guess is that company existed 1978-82 or thereabouts, with most stoves they sold being 1979-80.

Definitely the "box" technology that the program you mentioned is looking to get rid of.
  9. zogboy

zogboy New Member

Loc:
    CNY

Where is this program at and how much trade in do you get?
    It might be worth a drive if the amount is enough and the stoves you can choose from will fit your needs.
    I would like to get an automatic coal stoker with a direct vent system.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.