Science experiment: flue or stove top/digital thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotwood

Oct 26, 2007
SE MA
So, son wants to do a science experiment with Fire.
Awesome I say. Wants to meaure burn time and temp with different woods, BioBricks. Cool I say.

Not sure this will go well. Now we have a sime $15 flue thermometer that could be used for temp recording.

Question:
1) Record stove top or flue temp?
2) Is there such a thing as a digital stove thermometer?

Thanks in advance

There are digital thermometers, you can get several different types, keep an eye on E-bay. The challenge is that most are either very expensive, or are hand held battery power units that keep turning themselves off. (or both) As a start, anything that uses a "Type "K"" sensor should have a range that will work well for monitoring the stove.

The challenge will be to come up with a properly controlled experiment - remember that he needs to work with one variable at a time, so he needs to work out how to control all the other factors - the stove needs to be operated in a consistent manner, using uniform size / shape loads of wood, etc. The measurments need to be done in a consistent way, and so on down the line. It probably doesn't matter as much WHERE the measurments are taken as it does that they are taken from the same place, and at the same points of time in the burn, etc.

I suspect that it's going to be more of a challenge to come up with the right techniques for the experiment than actually doing the tests themselves.

Good luck to both of you in the fair.

Gooserider

Thanks JimBob!
I Looked at your links. The first had the noncontact thermometer with a laser pointer. No use of lasers is allowed at all. Quick Eaby search was pricey on the other. will continue to look. any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.