Score!! (but there is a catch, Poison Ivy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi - A neighbor had a 40" oak and 8 16 to 24" Ash trees cut down. I offered to remove the logs. They handle all the brush. Very nice Score...

However, one tree is covered with Poison Ivy, some up to 2" diameter. I've cut it befor without trouble, but not in the Summer, and not this quantity.

I'm planning to try to remove the bark/vine in large peices, then process as usual. I'm thinking an Ice spud, crow bar, and axe should do it. I'm planning to tape cloves and sock to my mechanics coveralls for that log, do that one last, and wash with serious detergent.

Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

On the big diameter stuff you can cut it and tie a rope to it, and peel it off (might need the use of motorized vehicle).

Edit: nice score, by the way.

zzr7ky said:
Hi - A neighbor had a 40" oak and 8 16 to 24" Ash trees cut down. I offered to remove the logs. They handle all the brush. Very nice Score...

However, one tree is covered with Poison Ivy, some up to 2" diameter. I've cut it befor without trouble, but not in the Summer, and not this quantity.

I'm planning to try to remove the bark/vine in large peices, then process as usual. I'm thinking an Ice spud, crow bar, and axe should do it. I'm planning to tape cloves and sock to my mechanics coveralls for that log, do that one last, and wash with serious detergent.

Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

I just hack the stuff off with an ax and pull with bare hands. I'm not highly allergic to the oils and I don't want the oil on my work gloves to be transferred back to me in the future. Later I'll wash with dish soap and cold water.

It's my understanding that the oils can stay around for a couple years so consider any gloves you use as 'hazardous' and toss them in the washing machine.

Pulling it off with a vehicle is a good idea.

YES...Excellent score BTW. You got some work ahead of you :)

I purchased a box of some Tyvek coveralls [disposable] way back when for jobs like that - though i am not allergic to PI. I use them for occasional very dirty jobs where I wouldnt even want to wash my coveralls afterwards. Maybe you can find a pair or a box. I am wary of PI just because my kids get it and I do not want the oils all over the place.

Wear long sleeves and buy some TecNu at the drug store. TecNu removes the poison ivy oils off your skin. When I finish cutting I just put some on my hands face and arms like a lotion...but you're supposed to wash with it. Now the little bit of ivy I get I can wipe out with calamine...but for over 20 years I'd end going to the doctors for some cortisone. TecNu really works there's always a bottle in my tool bag. If you're a serious wood cutter there's no getting around poison ivy...it's every where and just don't let become a show stopper.

The last time I got PI I was covered. Two trips to a Doctor and MANY sleepless nights. Not one stick for me. If firewood was four hundren a cord it would be worth it to NOT get PI.
Mike

and don't forget, when burned the smoke given off can be seriously detremental to some with breathing problems. :)

There was a thread on that a while ago.

and don’t forget, when burned the smoke given off can be seriously detremental to some with breathing problems.

Ah... Correction...

The smoke can be extremely dangerous to anyone or anything that breathes or has skin... No problems required... :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.