Score from the neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
My parents neighbor is putting an addition on her house so they had to remove a tree. It is a Tulip Poplar but I'm not complaining. Here are some pics from the day cutting it up with my dad.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 456
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 434
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 491
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 436
Nice Stick.

Thanks. I used the technique you talked about in another post, the same one in your avatar to get around it with the 20" bar. My dad commented that maybe we should get a bigger saw to tackle the Cottonwood we took down. I don't know if I can get around it with the 20. I think there may be 460 with a 28"coming in the near future. I have some other large trees I would like to tackle so a bigger saw may be in order...

Few more pics to

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 454
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 391
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 417
FireAnt looks like a nice size tree, how much wood will you get from the tree?

zap

zapny said:
FireAnt looks like a nice size tree, how much wood will you get from the tree?

zap

I am thinking 3- 3 1/2 cords. There were some big limbs that I had cut up and my dad took away on the tractor. I shot the pics a little after that.

This is an estimator I found.... what is the DBH of this tree? This table stops at 22" being 1 cord

The number of trees per cord depends on the size of the
tree (Table II). A tree’s diameter is measured at a height
4 1/2 feet from the ground. This measure is called diameter
at breast height (DBH). If trees 5 inches DBH are harvested
for firewood, it will require 46 to 55 trees to make one full
cord of firewood. However, one tree 22 inches DBH will
produce one full cord of firewood.
Table II. Firewood cutter’s rule of thumb.
Tree Size Number of Trees (diameter at breast height) Per Cord
5 46-55
6 21-33
7 14-18
8 9-14
9 6-9
10 4-6
16 2
22 1

Tulip trees are my favorite of all trees! Not for burning but for looks especially when they bloom! My grandfather had a row of them up his 100 yard driveway on both sides about 50 trees on each side and it was spectacular! He got his back in the 30's from a newspaper add selling from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello trees and Thomas Jefferson did the same with his drive. I remember the picture from the add he kept framed in his bedroom. As a kid I had endless summer afternoon's climbing those huge trees. After he went into the nursing home his place was sold and the idiot new owner cut down all of the trees within a year..what a shame. Nice stick you have there!

Status
Not open for further replies.