Score in the ghetto:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
Score in the ghetto:

I found this Water Oak on a vacant lot in the ghetto. This is my second trip and I remembered to bring the camera this time but almost forgot to take the pictures. I guess I get so excited or focused on what I am doing that I forget until I get home. I think I will pass on the trunk. It was a bit warm today so I started as early as I could. While unloading I heard on the radio that it was 90* and going to 97. I have no plans of processing that wood until it cools down some.

Attachments

• HPIM3375.jpg
    HPIM3375.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 537
  • HPIM3376.jpg
    HPIM3376.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 531
  • HPIM3377.jpg
    HPIM3377.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 553
  • HPIM3379.jpg
    HPIM3379.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 520
  • HPIM3380.jpg
    HPIM3380.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 533
lets see some pics of the ghetto...and the residents. Hold on to your camera!

You ghettos don't seem to live up to worldwide standards for ghettos. I see a lot of green, which is generally discouraged in modern ghetto design.

Keep in mind that this is GREENville, SC. It is as ghetto as it gets here. When I asked one of the residents about cutting the tree he told me I was in the ghetto, that's where I got the term from. Perhaps it is not the best use of the word.

When you lose that hand truck to the metal scrappers, then, you're in the ghetto. Ask me how I know, Randy

Bspring said:
I think I will pass on the trunk.

It might be a little ugly but I'm not sure I could walk away from that all you can eat oak buffet.

Cascade Failure said:
SolarAndWood said:
Bspring said:

It might be a little ugly but I'm not sure I could walk away from that all you can eat oak buffet.

Agreed, some effort by ugly cuts and creative splitting could yield some nice BTUs.

Hmm, old tree...."ghetto"....populated area....lower trunk....use an old chain 'cause there *might* be a some metal in it.

Bspring said:
Score in the ghetto:

I found this Water Oak on a vacant lot in the ghetto. This is my second trip and I remembered to bring the camera this time but almost forgot to take the pictures. I guess I get so excited or focused on what I am doing that I forget until I get home. I think I will pass on the trunk. It was a bit warm today so I started as early as I could. While unloading I heard on the radio that it was 90* and going to 97. I have no plans of processing that wood until it cools down some.

And the land belongs to who? I'd be concerned about taking trees from anyone's property, even public property, without permission.

Intheswamp said:
Hmm, old tree...."ghetto"....populated area....lower trunk....use an old chain 'cause there *might* be a some metal in it.

Us urban scroungers deal with that every time we go out. You kind of get a feel for where it is going to be and then just hope for the best. Kind of like roulette I suppose. I had a one in six chance of hitting this with my saw instead of finding it in the stove.

Attachments

• 123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 310
Intheswamp said:
Cascade Failure said:
SolarAndWood said:
Bspring said:

Agreed, some effort by ugly cuts and creative splitting could yield some nice BTUs.

True, but I'm not risk adverse. I "might" drop a tree on my head but that doesn't stop me unless I believe there's a really good chance of it.

Look at it this way. Someone "might" have nailed into the tree. Divide the length of the trunk by the kerf of saw. I think the odds are on my side or missing the metal. Factor in the number of times where I HAVE hit metal (or, being in New England, our regional flower is the rock) and nothing more than a chain change has resulted.

I'd take the risk and grab the BTUs.

Cascade Failure said:
Intheswamp said:
Cascade Failure said:
SolarAndWood said:
Bspring said:

True, but I'm not risk adverse. I "might" drop a tree on my head but that doesn't stop me unless I believe there's a really good chance of it.

Look at it this way. Someone "might" have nailed into the tree. Divide the length of the trunk by the kerf of saw. I think the odds are on my side or missing the metal. Factor in the number of times where I HAVE hit metal (or, being in New England, our regional flower is the rock) and nothing more than a chain change has resulted.

I just thought I would mention it to the OP, but you appear to know what you're doing...carry on.

Intheswamp said:
Cascade Failure said:
Intheswamp said:
Cascade Failure said:
SolarAndWood said:
Bspring" date="1306981522 said:

I just thought I would mention it to the OP, but you appear to know what you're doing...carry on.

Good point. You never really know someone's experience level do ya?

Cascade Failure said:
You never really know someone's experience level do ya?

Or inexperience level ;-)

nice ghetto score.

Look at it this way. Someone "might" have nailed into the tree. Divide the length of the trunk by the kerf of saw. I think the odds are on my side or missing the metal.

Yeah, you'd think..... but then two days ago I'm bucking a seven foot long, 27 inch diameter Water Oak trunk. On the second slice from the top I hit a nail. (documented in another thread) I didn't know what was going on until I started seeing black (dark blue) dust and chips piling up. I dug around and found a nail, minus the head, all polished up nice and shiny courtesy of my chain.

That nail was exactly in my kerf or it would not have pulled it out intact. I try to cut 19 inch rounds. 19 inches is exactly the length from my bar tip to an indented mark on my sprocket cover. For some reason, my first cut ended up being about 20 inches. Being off that one inch put my slice/kerf right where the nail was. Go figure.

My bad luck will win out over the "odds" every time.

One lesson I've learned is that if you start pulling out dark blue chips and dust, stop what you're doing or proceed with caution because that is a good sign of embedded metal.

Kenster said:
One lesson I've learned is that if you start pulling out dark blue chips and dust, stop what you're doing or proceed with caution because that is a good sign of embedded metal.

Yep but toss the log to the side. Because where there is metal, there is usually more metal. Cheaper to get more wood than replace equipment.

SolarAndWood said:
Kenster said:

Yep but toss the log to the side. Because where there is metal, there is usually more metal. Cheaper to get more wood than replace equipment.

Probably should have done just that, but I didn't and lucked out. No more metal. I love Water Oak, especially the trunk.
The grain is so straight and it hand splits SOOOO easily. It would have broken my heart to not take this trunk home.

Kenster said:
Probably should have done just that, but I didn't and lucked out. No more metal.

I usually do the same thing when it is high end stuff and all but once have gotten away with it. That once cost me a bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.