Score! New stove for me ;)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
I scored a VC Intrepid, non-cat model on eBay. Fired only a couple times, with all manuals, screen, etc for $498.

Given the great history of using my VC Resolute, I think the Intrepid will be a fantastic addition to my garage next winter.

The stove is in Irmo, SC. I'm going to pick it up on the way home from vacation. I think that's why no one bid on it. Irmo is outside Columbia, SC. Columbia is a "heat sink" if there ever was one. I have relatives in the area. I don't visit from May to October 'cause I can't stand the heat and humidity!

Now to find another stirling engine fan to put on my "new" Intrepid...

Sounds like a decent deal, congratulations.

Woodstove in garage? Tell me there's no cars, boats or flammables stored there.

OK, I'll bite....I thought swestall would have jumped on this thread by now!

Congrats on your stove! Hopefully it will work out for you. Is your previous VC a non cat? Only asking as you can do a search and see the problems people have had here and then the fact that VC just filed for Chapter 11. Hopefully YOUR thoughts on why no one bid is the real reason and not the others!

I have the NC as you can see and while it did heat my house, it did NOT work as advtertised but Im not in a financial position right now to be able to switch out like many others did.

It seems the general consensus is that conditions (draft, wood etc) have to be 150% perfect for the NC to work as it is advertised.

D

It's a non-cat 1988 model.

As for being in the garage, yes, there are cars and motorcycles there. But all are "tight" i.e. no gas fumes. The stove will be located in my "laboratory" area.

As for VC's woe financially, que sera, sera. I'll keep buying the old ones and when they finally get a good into production, I'll consider it.

And yes, my old Resolute is indeed a non-cat (series 1) and it works flawlessly.

Check local code. Normally wood stoves are not allowed in garages, but there may be local variances for unattached garages.

Done.

There's no law against it here, thankfully. My father-in-law has one in his garage, beneath the house!

My garage is detached, concrete block construction with conventional roof. I'll be putting in stainless piping.

It'll be well away from vehicles or other combustibles as well. I'll probably only fire it up on Sunday's and my odd Saturday off
to warm the garage so I can work on my old bikes and VW Thing.

Rest assured, fire extinguishers are and will be on hand.

Sounds like a plan. Maybe put it on a raised hearth for a little added safety.

Good idea. From what I can see on the photos, it has the "long legs" on the stove.

The floor is concrete, but I plan on putting in a heat shield on either side (if I put it in the corner) and a proper "uh oh, coals!" rock under it. Thankfully I have good rushing rivers nearby that provide great rocks.

Just FYI, the NFPA codes and others against woodstoves in garages are in effect everywhere, to my knowledge. That does not mean the local official knows about it - but NFPA is pretty much accepted as the standard everywhere.....

BUT, my interpretation is that (in general) the garages in question are attached to a home or share a wall. A building which is not attached may be different.

I have a stove in my workshop - which I got a permit for no problem.....but my workshop does not share common walls with the house.

Here is the general NFPA info for future ref:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Stove_in_Residential_Garages/

essentially a garage even detached if it was permitted when installed is a garage even if an automobile is never stored in it , therefore it is not a legal install per NFPA-211 para. 12.2.4

"solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage"

NFPA-211 para. 12.2.3 also states "solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gasses are present"

that said in your "lab" where you intend to work on a vehicle definately falls under the terminology "garage" therefore it would be a code violation to install it there. it should also be noted however that it is probably the most violated code found in the volumes concerning solid fuel appliances there is. nuff said, just thought i'd drop the actual applicable code in.

Yadda yadda yadda.

It's going in. Last time I looked out the window, it's still America. Land of the Free and all that rot. If you can keep a gun in your house, I don't know why the hell it's anyone's biz where I put a stove.

We all go to hell in our own way. I'll choose mine deliberately, thank you.

Do my best not to be a mouth breather...

I posted earlier that my insurance company took a photo of our garage and probably house when we were not home. I got a letter from them stating that if I didn't take the woodstove out of the garage they would cancel my insurance. Since my garage is quite valuable and I have extra insurance on its contents I called them and said the chimney they saw in the photo wasn't being used now and there was no woodstove in there. I left the chimney in case someone else wanted to use it........so if it burns down and they do find any evidence of a wood stove in there I am sure I won't get any compensation for my loss. Our garage is not attached to the house so I could have let them take the insurance off it but not worth the risk for me. If the risk is ok with you than do what you will.

Yes, this is America and you can do somewhat as you want but may have to pay the consequences out of your pocket.

Hey, we all take our chances, but it is important to know what the actual code it. We are obviously not the "enforcers" here, all we can do is point it out.

Just for a bit of history, that section of code is relatively recent. The evolution went this way - a bunch of garages caught on fire due to vapors that built up near the floor. So the code changed to having the source of flame at least 18" above the floor. I assume that helped a lot in lowering the incidence. But fires must have persisted, because NFPA and code authorities usually need good proof before making a change.

The more recent changes eliminated solid fuel appliances ANYWHERE in the garages. Certain areas still allow other heaters (hot water heaters) in the garage as long as they are 18" above the floor.

I guess the best we can do is suggest that any sources of flame be at least 18" above the floor and that smoke detectors be installed where you can hear them from the house. It may not be of concern, but the insurance company would certainly have a leg to stand on if the place burnt down and they did not want to pay you......if that bothers you, get a note from them or your local code authority OKing the install.

Sorry to be so cranky. Fell asleep on the couch last night and I'm down on caffeine.

Agreed regarding "Yes, this is America and you can do somewhat as you want but may have to pay the consequences out of your pocket".

I've been reemed royally by the IRS, buried two parents and a brother-in-law, seen good people go down while weasels thrive. I've learned one thing:
It's better say "I'm sorry" than to ask permission.

Better to be an outlaw than a lemming. ;)

Listen to this podcast from one of your fellow Tarheels and you might be able to make some sense (or no sense) of it. And enjoy that coffee...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19096131

He says exactly the same as you - weasels thrive while good people suffer! And, on the other hand, good people thrive and weasels suffer. No actual sense to it. Your stove may be fine, but someone else will have their garage burn down because of an electric clock (yes, I know someone this happened to).

Anyway, off subject, but a great show that I happened to accidentally come upon on NPR while driving from Atlanta to SC earlier this year.

Yeah, being a lemming sucks. Remember the famous apple commercial with all the lemmings falling off the cliff!
http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/mov/lemmings.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNrxwl59I0

I'd completely forgotten about the Apple Lemming Ad. Whew! Dial up the wayback!

Thanks for the links. Working Saturday at the Mortuary, aka the VW dealership where I make a living. It's about as much fun as watching paint peel.

Bmw, you'd fit right in up here in NH. "Live Free or Die". Some comedian I was listening too said we make great neighbors..Somebody new moves into the neighborhood and we know how to greet em....just leave em alone! We all make hopefully intellegent choices and their are times when what we know is reasonable in our particular situation perhaps skirts outside the codes shall we say. What everyone hopes for everyone else really is just to be safe and succesful.

Back in the late 80's, I lived in Vermont and worked in New Hampshire. I guess some of it rubbed off.

It was my first exposure to wood stoves and I learned to love a VC Defiant. It kept an old old Vermont house warm - at least the kitchen. I trained a damned good golden retriever pup there.

I split and put up 6 cords of oak, "Hayduke" my pup, retrieving every split I threw into the barn until he got tired. It was excellent therapy after ending a 6 year relationship, my first serious girlfriend and I mutually agreed to split up.
At least I had a good dog ;) She's still in Vermont, all these years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.