Score of a lifetime?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I was riding on some property that we are looking to purchase and I got about a 1000' from our house in some overgrown woods down a fairly steep hill when I saw it. It's a huge oak that had come down recently. This thing is 5' in diameter and quite a sight to see. I know this post is useless without pics so I will head back down tomorrow to get some pictures. I can't even guess how many cords of great burning wood is there. It took down a hickory and an elm along with it. It should be enough to keep me busy for a year or two.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Sounds like quite the find. I'm looking forward to the pictures. It would also be nice to keep us updated on your progress with that tree if you do end up harvesting it. I've never had to work on a tree that big so it would be interesting to know how it goes.

It would stay there and rot
What! Not a chance. That's like leaving gold cause it's buried. 5' and uphill, now that's an adventure worth telling on cold winter's day while the same timber glows in your stove.

Reactions: coltbean
5ft diameter oak tree and the first thing I think of is tabletops, not firewood. If you could get it out of course, just got to find the right equipment.

Turn the tree into wide lumber and you could get enough value to buy more firewood than you could imagine. Firewood is cheap, 50+ inch wide boards are not.

Reactions: bfitz3
I was riding on some property that we are looking to purchase and I got about a 1000' from our house in some overgrown woods down a fairly steep hill when I saw it. It's a huge oak that had come down recently. This thing is 5' in diameter and quite a sight to see. I know this post is useless without pics so I will head back down tomorrow to get some pictures. I can't even guess how many cords of great burning wood is there. It took down a hickory and an elm along with it. It should be enough to keep me busy for a year or two.
It can be done trust me,and it won't take as long as you think. Go for it ,need any advice you can get it here.This oak I scored was not worth $1500 to any lumber buyer I called and showed to.There are 4 and 5 footers here. Cut the oak ,get a saw with a 3 foot bar and noodle the crap out of that monster,some chains,tow straps and atv,or tractor. And GIT'R done.

Attachments

• oak 2.jpg
    oak 2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 439
  • oak3.jpg
    oak3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 433
Reactions: excessads
While an impressive tree it looks like it's considerably past its useful burning life,only way to find out is take a few bites out of it.

And in a few different places. It looks to me like the center rotted out. The wood around the rotted heartwood could still be good, as well as wood from farther up the tree. Just use whatever splitting implement you have to split the punky from the solid.

After looking at the pics I can see where you guys are noting the rot. If course there had to be some where it split, hence the reason it fell but from inspecting the trunk and all the limbs there was little ot no rot at all or I would jumped back on the quad never gave that ree another thought much less made a post about it. I need to get my 36" Stihl running again. Its been years since I fired it up and from what I remember the chain wouldnt stay on. Ill figure it out and get some of it cut up with better pics. The btu's are still there.

You guys are nuts or just can't get past your jealousy. Lol. Loads of solid wood still visible. If the leaves in the pic are from that tree it's a red, but the bark looks more like white oak. Hard to tell when they get that big. Red oak rots faster and won't last too long on the ground. White oak has years before it's not worth the effort. Cut up a 36" white down three years with no more than an inch of punk last fall. Killer score!

You guys are nuts or just can't get past your jealousy. Lol. Loads of solid wood still visible. If the leaves in the pic are from that tree it's a red, but the bark looks more like white oak. Hard to tell when they get that big. Red oak rots faster and won't last too long on the ground. White oak has years before it's not worth the effort. Cut up a 36" white down three years with no more than an inch of punk last fall. Killer score!
No jealousy here about 25 cords of red oak not one stick burned yet all just split this summer.
splits.jpeg

Attachments

• rounds.jpeg
    rounds.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 179
No jealousy here about 25 cords of red oak
"I stand corrected OH, your an Oak". Now I'm jealous. How in the world did you get 25 cords of beautiful red?

That is my son in the picture and no he is not full size as we ordered him as a 1:4 size model.

Reactions: Rickb
"I stand corrected OH, your an Oak". Now I'm jealous. How in the world did you get 25 cords of beautiful red?
Pay to have connections,and this is what you get.i may be a little light on my guestimate,but I've got tons of the stuff.
oak 2.jpg
oak 2.jpg
oak3.jpg
oak3.jpg
oak3.jpg
oak3.jpg
oak5.jpg

That is my son in the picture and no he is not full size as we ordered him as a 1:4 size model.
Go for that tree, I could cut the entire thing in one day with my 36 inch Husky and one helper ,easily but you'll be working.One cuts round,one noodles them into manageable pieces ,we cut the oak shown below in about 40 hours two men,me and a skilled helper.

Hahaha. Was wondering. Was gonna ask if that 291 paid the price for all that.

Absolutely. Well worth the effort. He's got a heck of a score there.
Husqvarna 395 XP was the main contender,an awesome beast that will git,r done,not cheap but needed to tackle monsters shown above. No complaints.

That's a nice saw from what I've read. I have a 028 for most stuff but a Shindi 757 for the hog wood. Rockey, looking forward to seeing what that 36" reveals. Let the pics roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.