Score of a lifetime!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
Got a knock on the door this morning from a neighbor down the road who I have literally talked to once in 3 years. He said he noticed my woods stacks and asked if I had a stove which I said yes. So he tells me he had an outdoor wood boiler that he sold and got a pellet stove and had "some" wood left if I wanted it. So I go down with him to check out and he has at least 13 cord of DRY birch and spruce and said I can take what I want! Tried to offer him some money but he said he just wants it out of his yard. I already got about 3 cord today and didn't even seem to put a dent in the stacks.

ca405d96.jpg

b8aeaa59.jpg

There are 2 stacks this size and 1 smaller stack. Plenty of wood to keep me splitting and stacking for weeks!

Huge score. And birch to boot. Good on you!
If it is 13 cords like you estimate, how long do you figure that will last you?

13 cord in my stove is just about 3.5 years I'm burning About 3 to 3.5 a year and that was not so dry wood with a super cold winter. Not to mention I have about 8 cord already of my own stuff.

13 cord in my stove is just about 3.5 years I'm burning About 3 to 3.5 a year and that was not so dry wood with a super cold winter. Not to mention I have about 8 cord already of my own stuff.
So this puts you roughly 5-6 years ahead :cool: Perhaps it's time to start considering a covered woodshed?

Reactions: ScotO
Well that's just providence. Somebody's looking out for you :)

Reactions: BrianK
Sweet score! And close to home, can't beat that!! Heck maybe you could drop off a gift card or something

Reactions: ScotO
Great score!! Some of those rounds look pretty long - are you going to have to resaw any??

Great score!! Some of those rounds look pretty long - are you going to have to resaw any??
Some of those rounds would have to be cut twice three times in order to just squeeze into my stove :oops:

Nice score!

I will have to cut all of them most of them are between 3-1/2 to 4 feet length

Yep but you have to do a dance and pray to the wood gods remember field of dreams if you build it they will come...

Reactions: Gark
Holy crap! That is a score of a lifetime. Take a look at Zap's method for cutting splits to stove length. I found that very helpful.

Nice score!! you're neighbour sounds like someone you should
talk to more often !

Great score. You have a good neighbor.
I bet he hates to see the wood sit there & rot.
Invite them over for a cookout or something. Feed him a good steak & a few beers :)

Careful of the birch on the bottom, it may be a little punky but make good back yard burn pit wood. ;)

Wicked good deal.

Looks like some nice wood there. That'll keep you cutting and splitting for a while....... :)

Wow! Super nice score!

Very nice score! Definitely find a way to thank him.

Status
Not open for further replies.