Score of white ash - which wood to burn for next season - what do you think????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey everyone,

Road crew cutting A LOT of wood near my work and I've had a chance to cut and haul about 3 cord in the last 4 days - should have 2-3 more cord by the time they finish working the road. So far, probably 2.5 cord of white ash and the rest is cherry and sugar maple. Will likely get a total of 5 cord of white ash. In addition to this green wood, I have about 10 cord of red oak, yellow birch, sugar maple, etc. that has been split and seasoning since June of last summer - so.....1.5 years seasoning before next year's burn. Here's my question - do you think I should split and season the ash for the spring/summer/fall and burn the new ash for next year's heat? I'm thinking this would give my other wood, especially the red oak, a minimum of 2.5 years of seasoning. I've heard that ash can be burned very soon after splitting, since it has very little moisture compared with other woods (e.g. oak).

Lastly - for those of you who have burned ash - I've heard it burns nice and hot - but, how about burn times? Under the same conditions, would red oak burn a lot longer than the ash? Thanks everyone! Cheers!

White ash starts out with a lower moisture content and will season up nice by next season if you splitting it now. I would burn it first and get the 2.5 years on your oak.

As far as how long it burns, it is definitely less than maple and oak, but not bad. I burn a lot of white ash even during the coldest months.

I would definetely stack the ash to use first next year. I would also mix it with anything else that is 20% mc. The ash will take 6 mos to season to 20%. Ash is great to have. It give me time for other woods to season.
The cherry will be ready for next year also.

Your thinkin' sounds right to me. A guy can live on ash alone, indeed, I know I could heat all winter long with only ash, no problem.

I'd split and stack that ash in a single row, and while burning it next year gaze upon that oak with lustful eyes....knowing it's days are numbered.

I have 5 cord of red oak that'll be seasoned 2.5 years come October....it's next in line for the fiery furnace :)

Been watchin this site for quite a while now. finally got off my but & signed up, great site lots of info.
I burn almost nothing but white ash. Burns great. My shop is right behind a sawmill that cuts only white ash & I get the junk they won't use.
Only problem I have is it is all big wood.

You shouldn't burn any of it, you should PM me and give it away! Where you at in NH?

S

Sugar maple, ash and cherry? Gosh, throw in some hickory and you have the grand slam of northeast firewood.

Both the ash and the cherry will be perfect for next season. I love mixing ash and cherry in a charge, a perfect match IMO. That's what's in my stove right now, with a massive chunk of hickory on top. Save that oak, birch and maple for the year after, but make sure it's kept dry to get by the rot. If it was mine, I'd throw a big split of oak on the top at night for surefire coals in the morning.

sounds good the ash ,cherry, birch, maple will all be good for next year just let the oak sit and season some more til it's ready and then put it into the mix for overnight and extreme cold days.

NH_Wood said:
Hey everyone,

Road crew cutting A LOT of wood near my work and I've had a chance to cut and haul about 3 cord in the last 4 days - should have 2-3 more cord by the time they finish working the road. So far, probably 2.5 cord of white ash and the rest is cherry and sugar maple. Will likely get a total of 5 cord of white ash. In addition to this green wood, I have about 10 cord of red oak, yellow birch, sugar maple, etc. that has been split and seasoning since June of last summer - so.....1.5 years seasoning before next year's burn. Here's my question - do you think I should split and season the ash for the spring/summer/fall and burn the new ash for next year's heat? I'm thinking this would give my other wood, especially the red oak, a minimum of 2.5 years of seasoning. I've heard that ash can be burned very soon after splitting, since it has very little moisture compared with other woods (e.g. oak).

Lastly - for those of you who have burned ash - I've heard it burns nice and hot - but, how about burn times? Under the same conditions, would red oak burn a lot longer than the ash? Thanks everyone! Cheers!

You definitely came into a great find. Congratulations on that.

Over our many years we have burned a lot of ash. If you get that cut to length and split now or at least by Spring it will be ready to burn next fall. The same goes for the cherry but the sugar maple needs more time. Even that red oak you cut and split last June will not be fully ready by next fall. Best to give that another year.

As for the burning times, definitely the ash will not last as long as oak but there is not a huge difference. That is the reason oak is given higher scores on burning is because it lasts longer; greater coaling with oak. We still get good long burns with just ash so I won't complain.

Here in Michigan ash is right now our primary wood simply because it has to be cut as it is all dying. The oaks we have will wait until the ash is gone. Until then they will continue to grow.

Backwoods Savage said:
Here in Michigan ash is right now our primary wood simply because it has to be cut as it is all dying.

x2

It'll probably be my primary next year with some oak mixed in if it's ready. So far it's getting me through my first season nicely.

Hey - thanks everybody! I'm planning to split the wood next weekend, so I should be good for a season of ash and cherry next year - I figured that would be best, but feels better to have some seasoned folks agree! Quite a sweet find - apparently, the company is working an approx. 2 mile stretch over the next 2-3 weeks - leaving ALL the hardwood on the side of the road (a very low use road). I plan to cut and haul a pick-up load (only a 6' bed for my Tacoma) each afternoon, and hope to manage another 3 cord by the end of their cutting. I'm in Rindge, NH for the poster who inquired - but I'll leave off where exactly the wood is....... ;-P

White ash is one of my favorite woods . . . splits like a dream, seasons quickly due to the low moisture content and burns great with decent heat and decent burn times.

Your ash and cherry being cut now should be good for next Fall . . . but the longer you wait to burn this wood, the better off you will be. Definitely get it bucked, split and stacked as soon as possible to maximize your seasoning time.

Your red oak will most likely need another year . . . the same might apply to the sugar maple -- it really will depend on the wood. Your birch however will most likely be good to go as well . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.