Score on the way home from work!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I always pass the same parking lot by a country club on the way home from work. Its very wooded, so today I decided to take a drive thru and look around. I saw thru the trees what I thought was a hallucination - a huge pile (actually 2 piles) of beautifully cut rounds. I drove around to the pile and started to drool a little bit. Just then a landscaping truck pulled up, so I asked the guy if he knew whos it was. He said it was his - "do you want it", he said. "Sure, I want it". He didnt want to pay to dump it, so he dumped it on the grounds where he parks his truck for a few weeks. He said I can take it all. This is all I could get in the truck safely at one time. There must be 15 or so more truck loads there. Oh, yeah , its mostly locust, with maybe 25% oak. Tomorrow I pick up the new splitter I bought. Wow-just in time. :lol:

Attachments

• woodbury.jpg
    woodbury.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 491
Sweet! I keep dreaming of that kind of score.

This is as good as winning a lottery!

In our slightly twisted minds, its even better!! :wow: I'll get a few pics up of 'the pile' when I go back for the next load.

Ground score. And people think we drive slow just to look cool.

SolarAndWood said:
And people think we drive slow just to look cool.

...or we are just old folks out for a Sunday drive. :) Little do they know, eh? :)

Shari

Wood-Fan-Atic,

See, as they say, build it and they will come! Well you got your splitter, and the wood came!

There's been a wood stove in the basement of the home I live in since I bought the place and moved in 13 years ago, THAT I'VE NEVER USED! This has not been by choice, but I recently have been trying to get to a point where I can clean out the basement, un-bury the stove, hook it up and begin supplementing my heat with wood. Life just always seemed to get in the way, and I was never able to get it done. We never had a fireplace/wood stove as a kid, and I always enjoyed it when we visited someone who did, and when I went camping as a youngster going scouting - hey I'm an Eagle Scout!

Well, I recently had to cut a short access road through the woods, and took down a few trees to do this. I bucked the logs and started to stack them. Ironically, the next day in conversation with a friend, I mentioned that now I needed to build a log splitter to split all these rounds I had just stacked, some time soon. To my complete surprise he volunteered his fairly new 22 Ton Huskee - Tractor Supply Rig. I got about 1 full cord out of it after it was all split, and doing this has jump-started the desire to fabricate my own rig. (I started a separate thread in the "Gear" section) It will be a horizontal ONLY machine with a log lift, and my own twist - enabling the log lift to hold up long logs for me that need to be bucked. This way I can skid long logs to the splitter, buck them into just a few pieces, and then have the lift raise them up for me to finish bucking them comfortably, for final splitting.

Anyway, I've begun cleaning out the basement in preparation for using the wood stove next winter, after what I have so far is properly seasoned. If I get it done sooner - highly unlikely - I'll be enjoying it that much sooner! Hey it's been 13 years, so one more season won't make much difference.

I'm having lots of fun designing my machine and collecting parts - so far I have a new 4X24X2 cylinder, two valves, and engine and some other misc parts. I'm waiting on a nice heavy beam, and once that arrives I'll be ordering axles, hubs, a pump, etc.

I was introduced to the forum by a co-worker who has a nice American CLS machine, and I've really had a good time picking up ideas and so on from all you folk.

Bottom line with your score: You put it out there ...... and it was delivered to you! :cheese:

Attachments

• WoodPileRev01.jpg
    WoodPileRev01.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 335
You are sooo right,Professor. My wife (who is the most awesome person Ive ever met in my life) is ALWAYS saying "put it out there, and you'll get it". She could drive down the road throwing $100 bills out of the window and come home and find an inheritance check in the mailbox! Good Karma and positive thinking can get you EVERYTHING youve ever wanted.

wood-fan-atic said:
I always pass the same parking lot by a country club on the way home from work. Its very wooded, so today I decided to take a drive thru and look around. I saw thru the trees what I thought was a hallucination - a huge pile (actually 2 piles) of beautifully cut rounds. I drove around to the pile and started to drool a little bit. Just then a landscaping truck pulled up, so I asked the guy if he knew whos it was. He said it was his - "do you want it", he said. "Sure, I want it". He didnt want to pay to dump it, so he dumped it on the grounds where he parks his truck for a few weeks. He said I can take it all. This is all I could get in the truck safely at one time. There must be 15 or so more truck loads there. Oh, yeah , its mostly locust, with maybe 25% oak. Tomorrow I pick up the new splitter I bought. Wow-just in time. :lol:

wood-fan-atic nice score, are you going back for more and what kind of splitter did you buy.

zap

Newbie here.

Awesome find. I had a smaller find near my office yesterday in an abandoned lot, couldn't see the scattered logs through the high grass and weeds until the cold thinned it down a bit. Not near 15 truckloads, maybe 2-3 loads to get it all. I rented a splitter a couple years ago, was amazing how quick it went. After looking at the prices of splitters I keep going back to what works and is free, cutting logs shorter and splitting with a 8lb maul, 4lb axe, and a wedge.

That is a super score, congrats, I could use a score like that as I am almost out of rounds.

Zap-
I am ABSOLUTELY going back for the rest. Its on the grounds of the country club, so no one else is going to take it. I pass it everyday going to/from work, so I'll grab a load everyday until it's all safely nestled in my drying racks. :) I drove upstate yesterday morning with my son to TSC in Patterson, NY, to p/u my new 22ton Huskee splitter..... and then the J-E-T-S pulled one out of their as*es in O.T. ! I'm calling that a GOOD DAY!! :lol: I'll snap some pics with my cell-cam on the way home tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.