Score! or bust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
I saw a tree company in my neighborhood on my way home. I stopped and asked if I may have some wood. They ended up following me home and dumped the rest of the tree in my drive way. They said it was a maple tree. I gave them a 18 pack of beer. I also found some logs yesterday cut by the power company that I think is locust. Two scores? image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a tree company in my neighborhood on my way home. I stopped and asked if I may have some wood. They ended up following me home and dumped the rest of the tree in my drive way. They said it was a maple tree. I gave them a 18 pack of beer. I also found some logs yesterday cut by the power company that I think is locust. Two scores? View attachment 146317View attachment 146318
image.jpg image.jpg

The wood is laying in your driveway, without having to cut it down or haul it in your own vehicle. You traded an 18pk of beer for it.

In my book, that's a score. And a big time savings vs. dropping/bucking/loading/unloading if you had the hookup on a place to go cut that yourself. Well orchestrated.

Free and clear, but still beep to split (no splitter=by hand). I hope it burns half decent. I've yet to burn maple.

Sounds like a good score to me! I got a cord and a half of oak this weekend for free, i had to pick it up, cut it, and split it. Sounds like you got a better deal than that!

The big stuff in the driveway is maple - I'd say probably Sugar Maple, but the shaggy bark could be Silver or Red Maple too. The logs are definitely Black Locust. Good score!

Reactions: splitoak
I burn silver maple and black locust. This wood, plus FREE delivery, is a good score. I use the maple to get things going, or to satisfy a quick burn. But the locust wood? That needs twice as long to dry out and become seasoned, but it burns so long and well that I want more of it.

Huge score. Well done, sir.

Excellent score I'd say!

Some sort of silver/red maple and black locust. The locust will most likely split much easier than the maple. I've started to dislike splitting maple because it is always twisted and makes my stacks look sloppy. Nice score either way, can't beat a driveway drop off.

Good score.That locust will be good when the temps get way down there and hold fire for a long time.Once that maple seasons out,it will be good for fall and spring time when not a lot of heat is needed or when home on weekends.

I would give them my number and let them know they are welcomed to drop some more good stuff off when they are in the neighborhood.

The real test of this deal is what kind of beer you gave them?

Reactions: 1750
What one guy doesn't want laying in his yard sure looks good in yours! lol

Reactions: BSH1F
Not sure how anyone could think of this as a bust . . . unless the wood was all punky and riddled with flesh-eating ants and poison ivy.

Any time any one gets free wood dropped in their yard is a score in my book . . . I don't care what type of wood it is . . . although some scores are better than others.

I would give them my number and let them know they are welcomed to drop some more good stuff off when they are in the neighborhood.

The real test of this deal is what kind of beer you gave them?
I gave them a 18 pack of Modelo. They asked if I wanted more wood and took my number. I hope they return on the next job. Forman said he had a few coming up in my area. Now I need to find a splitter!

Get a good 8lb sledge and 2 splitting wedges (because 1 will get stuck) did it this way for ten years before buying a splitter.

Nice score! Splitting wood is good exercise. I've been doing it for years and using the power splitter money for other things.

What's that green stuff behind the wood? :)

That's clearly a bust. Now you've either got to process it in a week or decorate it with Christmas lights.

I gave them a 18 pack of Modelo. They asked if I wanted more wood and took my number. I hope they return on the next job. Forman said he had a few coming up in my area. Now I need to find a splitter!
Go Huskee 22 all the way.....
Congrats on the nice score.....

X3 now, get a hydraulic splitter. Save your back and shoulders for when you're old. I'm no spring chicken and I split about 10 cords a year, I have yet to find a piece of tree crotch I couldn't split, cut or crush with this Northstar, it's a real beast.
On a side note, I have been selling firewood for about 10 years and have had to leave a lot of wood behind because I just didn't want to fight the gnarly stuff. I paid for this splitter with one seasons firewood sales, I bought my PJ 16' trailer with the next years sales. I sold the PJ this fall and picked up the 2013 18' Maxey. This is my first year with a wood stove in the house, so I might be done selling wood all depending on how much I burn this winter. You could do the same thing, make it pay for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Status
Not open for further replies.