score.................potential huge score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
the farmer that lives down the road has property that borders mine..and he was back there with his tractor doing some work today........i went down and we chatted..he commented on my woodpiles....and i asked if he had anything down he didnt want...he said man i got all kinds of stuff.....he took me about 200 yards off my property and showed 3 sycamores he had pulled into the field and he said have at it...i said well i dont have anyway to get it up here after i work it up..he said u work it up and ill get it up there for u.....i said no problem and thanked him.....he pointed out 3 locust trees and one ash and he said i could have them...i told him id cut em down in a few days..he said no ill cut em down and pull em in the field for u with my tractor...wow am i excited...i may not have to use the cobalt to cut wood now.and 200 yards out my back door....im stoked..here is some pics of the sycamore.....

2011-09-12165644.gif

2011-09-12171508.gif

end result..looks like a small pile..guess cause its in a big field ...but its a nice pile of wood
2011-09-12185141.gif

Oh man, that looks amazing! Why don't things like this ever happen to me??

Seriously, though -- great find. It shows what can happen if you just ask people.

WOW. Sweet deal. Some people simply have horseshoes up....
;)

If only it would happen to me! There are too many wood burners around me to give away a twig...about 70% of people heat with wood around here!

Andrew

Better check your sneakers I think you stepped in sh!t..

:lol:

Ray

lol...i know guys..trust me this kind of thing dont happen to me

steeltowninwv said:
lol...i know guys..trust me this kind of thing dont happen to me

Happy for you keep us posted!

Ray

i will he said it would be a couple of weeks before he laid them down..one last kicker is..i get the leave the wood there to season and can get it next year

steeltowninwv said:
i will he said it would be a couple of weeks before he laid them down..one last kicker is..i get the leave the wood there to season and can get it next year

Take it now as he may change his mind.. You never know..

Ray

nah he aint like that...this works out perfect for me..dont have a huge amount of storage space and id like to get 2 years ahead...this is the perfect situation...i know him pretty well...i just knew he burnt wood as well and never asked him......just never knew he owned that much land..he told me today its about 400 acres

If he burns wood I'd offer him some of the wood you're bucking. He may not want the wood, but it can't hurt to offer. I'd also try to work as soon as possible after he drops the trees and ask him how he wants the place cleaned up after you're done. The easier you are to work with, the more likely you'll have continued access. 400 is an ulimited lifetime supply of wood for both of you. 20 acres would be enough for you both.

Wood Duck said:
If he burns wood I'd offer him some of the wood you're bucking. He may not want the wood, but it can't hurt to offer. I'd also try to work as soon as possible after he drops the trees and ask him how he wants the place cleaned up after you're done. The easier you are to work with, the more likely you'll have continued access. 400 is an ulimited lifetime supply of wood for both of you. 20 acres would be enough for you both.

+1 Good advice Duck..

Ray

I agree with Wood Duck. It is very common to leave the farmer with a third of the wood; perhaps more for him cutting the trees and dragging them to the field. Glad you got them split too as sycamore can be a bear to split. The locust might be a struggle too but the ash should be sweet splitting.

I'd say that farmer is in for something for a nice gift. If not now, then for Christmas for sure. Congratulations on getting that wood.

on the same page with u guys..i have already offered to cut him some wood..he said no he had plenty laying around already....and yes hes on my
xmas list...and i was sure to clean up all brush...trust me i know how valuable this is

Good deal . . . for me getting the tree down and cutting the brush is the worse part as I never fail to hang up a bunch of the trees . . . having someone cut them down, brush them and haul them out for you . . . very sweet deal . . . make sure you thank this neighbor with a generous gift at some point.

That's awesome! Doesn't get any better than a close, unlimited supply. And you can give your poor Cobalt a break. :lol:
I've burned some Sycamore. BTU about like Cherry...good stuff. I think it dries pretty fast, as well. Last one I got was a yard tree...tough splitting.

raybonz said:

Ray

:lol: right on. It just shows that it pays to be in the right place at the right time.Great thing is,its especially nice when both parties are happy with the deal.

Thistle said:
raybonz said:

Ray

:lol: right on. It just shows that it pays to be in the right place at the right time.Great thing is,its especially nice when both parties are happy with the deal.

Timing can be everything.. Nice to know there are some good people in the wood burning community.. I am proud to be part of it too!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.