Score!!!! (update 01/01/12)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I have secured access to a major Oak score. There is a summer camp operated by the local JCC in my town. A few months ago I saw that these huge trees had fallen near the road on the camp property. I got in touch with a JCC official and we met at the camp yesterday. He told me that he would be happy to have me remove as much of the two trees as possible. I told him that I could not take any of the small top branches, but that I would do my best to stack them neatly so that his tree guy could chip them. He told me that they would hire his tree company to remove what ever I can't, but I am sure that I can save him e a few bucks in cleanup costs and get a huge amount of good wood for myself. We agreed that the trees that are broken but still standing near these will be left for the pros. I told him that I don't cut down trees, but that I will happily cut downed trees up. He also told me that it would be OK to cut some smaller trees to clear a path so that I can drive the truck to within about 15' of it. These trees are massive!
DSC06506.jpg

At the stump they are probably 24"-30" diameter and there is probably 40' or more of straight trunk on each!
DSC06507.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

Taking this wood from the camp will help them save a few bucks in removal costs and likely net me at least 1/2 a season's worth of wood. These trees went down mid winter and the roots are way out of the ground so I am hoping that no new moisture will be running through as the weather gets warmer. I hope to get out there one day a week for the next few weeks.

awesome score on the oak!! Can't beat tree that grow in the forest as opposed to one that grow by themselves in the yard - few branches..

Oh wow. That log on the right of 2nd pic looks decent enough for an Alaskan Mill.... ;-)

You got one helluva score!

Now that is a great score!!!!!!

Well, hard to beat that - looks like pretty easy access, easy cutting, and oak to boot - nice work! Cheers!

Wow Steve. Get those out quickly if possible before anyone else wants some. lol There are some great trees that will make you some great firewood. Even though I have plenty of wood on our place for cutting, if I found something like that near us, I'd also be hauling some oak.

Looks like White Oaks, no? Be carefull to not outcut your removal ability. That close to a road, I would not leave a cut log alone for long or it will grow legs.

I was pretty happy when I git home from talking to the guy. For some reason Mrs. Flatbedford did not completely share my enthusiasm. I knew you guys would. This will be a good project. Some big straight wood that will be cut exactly to length with full permission from the landowner. A little more relaxing than my usual roadside harvesting spots. This camp is about 500' from one of my most productive roadside spots. I usually turn around in the driveway to get to my spot.
Some of this will be just at the reasonable limits of my 029 with 20", but as long as I keep it sharp and work smart I should be OK. If I had one of those fancy pro saws, I could surely cut faster, but I wouldn't get it on the truck any faster.

I am not sure which of the Oaks they are, they all burn just fine.
I never cut more than I can load when I work anywhere near a road. The thing is that wood tends to sit roadside for years where I live. I don't know too many people who burn much and most seem to buy wood.

mywaynow said:
Looks like White Oaks, no? Be carefull to not outcut your removal ability. That close to a road, I would not leave a cut log alone for long or it will grow legs.

That's what I was thinking, too. Buck up only what you can take in one haul. Then come back and buck some more. Otherwise, someelse will take advantage of your labors.

Great Score!

Flatbedford said:
I never cut more than I can load when I work anywhere near a road. The thing is that wood tends to sit roadside for years where I live. I don't know too many people who burn much and most seem to buy wood.

Fear not Steve. It is red oak.

I hope you have a cant hook. That will ease the work a lot.

Backwoods Savage said:
Flatbedford said:

Fear not Steve. It is red oak.

I hope you have a cant hook. That will ease the work a lot.
+1 on the cant hook. Dennis, basically upon your favorable view of cant hooks I bought a 4 1/2 Peavey-brand cant hook...I've only used it a few times so far but it made all the difference in getting some large (to me) rounds cut up...cut 2/3-1/4 the way through, rolled the logs, then cut the rest of the way...sure keeps the chainsaw out of the dirt!!! They're good for rolling a big log up onto some smaller logs for getting them up off the ground a bit, too. So far I haven't actually used it to move a log much distance but for bucking heavy logs it's great!! It allowed me to move logs that would have been IMPOSSIBLE TO MOVE otherwise. Thanks for recommendation!

Ed

Thanks Ed and I'm happy this has worked out well for you. Also, these things can be a super big help if you want to roll some big logs up onto a trailer. You just need a couple 2 x 6's or some similar size to roll them on and you can just use your body to hold the log as you get new bites on the log. It really makes so much easier work; like I said, I'd really hate to be without one.

I have a Peavey timberjack with the jack removed so that it works like a cant hook. I will cut to length, roll the rounds to the truck and halve or quarter them as needed to make them light enough to lift unto the truck. That is my usual method and it works pretty good for me, especially with easy splitting Oak. I can usually quater them in 4 to 6 whacks with the Fiskars.
Looks about like this.
0303100955.jpg

I used to carry a 2x12 and roll them up, but I have learned that making them a little smaller and tossing them is much easier and probably safer too. A truck load of free firewood is not worth a few weeks injured and out of work.

Good for you Steve.

Great score!

There is a camp near my parents place that I drive by weekly that had a bunch of big oaks removed due to them starting to drop branches making them unsafe. I've wanted to stop in and ask what is being done with them but with 3-4 years on hand and needing to cut a year or two worth at other spots I haven't pursued them any. It makes me sick when I drive by but I really have no interest in being that far ahead. I know it's crazy to think on this site but I'm ok with 3+ years right now.

I was just informed that the deal is currently "on hold" while they consult their insurance company.:-S If it is too good to be true, it just might be.

AP,
That would be a good hearth.com username.

Well, it looks like this might not work out. I got an email from them today.

"Steve,

It’s getting complicated…would you agree to the following?

“Obtain confirmation that the Rosenthal JCC is included as additional insured under the neighbor's homeowners policy liability coverage and have the neighbor sign a short indemnification agreementâ€

We are waiting for the wording on the indemnification agreement.
"

I guess I am "the neighbor". I told him that I'll look at the agreement and work from there. I have a friend who is a wood burner and attorney. Maybe I'll ask him to look it over for me. I don't think my homeowners insurance company will be interested in this.

Flatbedford said:
I have secured access to a major Oak score. There is a summer camp operated by the local JCC in my town. A few months ago I saw that these huge trees had fallen near the road on the camp property. I got in touch with a JCC official and we met at the camp yesterday. He told me that he would be happy to have me remove as much of the two trees as possible. I told him that I could not take any of the small top branches, but that I would do my best to stack them neatly so that his tree guy could chip them. He told me that they would hire his tree company to remove what ever I can't, but I am sure that I can save him e a few bucks in cleanup costs and get a huge amount of good wood for myself. We agreed that the trees that are broken but still standing near these will be left for the pros. I told him that I don't cut down trees, but that I will happily cut downed trees up. He also told me that it would be OK to cut some smaller trees to clear a path so that I can drive the truck to within about 15' of it. These trees are massive!
DSC06506.jpg

At the stump they are probably 24"-30" diameter and there is probably 40' or more of straight trunk on each!
DSC06507.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

Taking this wood from the camp will help them save a few bucks in removal costs and likely net me at least 1/2 a season's worth of wood. These trees went down mid winter and the roots are way out of the ground so I am hoping that no new moisture will be running through as the weather gets warmer. I hope to get out there one day a week for the next few weeks.

029 going to take it rough!

Status
Not open for further replies.