Score!!!! (update 01/01/12)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
[quote author="Flatbedford nice size trees, hope it works out forD you.

Zap

Maybe a blessing here! lol that tree is going to kick more than a few @ss's!

Can't be any worse then cutting on the side of some of the hills here, I'm with Solar and for some reason Smokin I think you wOOd like a shot at it with that 880. :coolgrin:

Zap

At 30 inch 460 is faster you get much over 40 in that hard oak the 880 just might win. Pignut hickory last week the 360's darn sur did not like it at about 30 inchs.(Puck on it) lol This week they get bigger alot bigger. Beech 32+ and another pignut should push 40. We will probally be running 880 and 460 in a side by side. "Full broadside if you will"

Hey Flatbedford,

You may want to look into listing them as additional insured as they requested. Check with your insurance company, it may be cheap or free to do so, just a formality so they know who your insurance company actually is. May not be that big of a deal. Check it out. Just a phone call to your agent, never hurts to ask. Good Luck with that MajorWood score.

Here's what they asked for.

Please speak to your insurance agent regarding the statement below
Please ask the homeowner to obtain a general liability certificate from his homeowner's policy naming the JCC as an additional insured for bodily injury or property damage arising out of the homeowner's tree-clearing activity on JCC property. The homeowner's broker will know what to do.

Since many general liability policies require a contract in order to make additional insured status effective, the homeowner should be asked to sign a short letter reading as follows: "I, [name of owner], agree that, in return for the Rosenthal JCC allowing me to remove fallen trees from its property, I will indemnify the JCC against bodily injury or property damage arising out of my activity and will name the JCC as additional insured on my homeowner's policy."

This is my answer.

I am not comfortable with this. Sorry, too complicated. In the time that I was waiting to hear back from you I have collected about 1/2 the wood that I need for this year anyway. I understand that this is the way that organizations have to operate and I appreciate that you made the effort for me.
If your tree guy wants to get rid of the wood, give him my number. His insurance would cover that. So would his fee.
Thanks,
Steve

It would have been a good score, but I just don't want to go through all that crap. There is enough wood around that I don't have to.

Flatbedford said:
Here's what they asked for.

Please speak to your insurance agent regarding the statement below
Please ask the homeowner to obtain a general liability certificate from his homeowner's policy naming the JCC as an additional insured for bodily injury or property damage arising out of the homeowner's tree-clearing activity on JCC property. The homeowner's broker will know what to do.

Since many general liability policies require a contract in order to make additional insured status effective, the homeowner should be asked to sign a short letter reading as follows: "I, [name of owner], agree that, in return for the Rosenthal JCC allowing me to remove fallen trees from its property, I will indemnify the JCC against bodily injury or property damage arising out of my activity and will name the JCC as additional insured on my homeowner's policy."

This is my answer.

I am not comfortable with this. Sorry, too complicated. In the time that I was waiting to hear back from you I have collected about 1/2 the wood that I need for this year anyway. I understand that this is the way that organizations have to operate and I appreciate that you made the effort for me.
If your tree guy wants to get rid of the wood, give him my number. His insurance would cover that. So would his fee.
Thanks,
Steve

It would have been a good score, but I just don't want to go through all that crap. There is enough wood around that I don't have to.

If they drop that off at your house, would just be the funnest thing ever!

Flatbed, I think you made the right decision. Waaay too much hassle. Maybe you can do a drive-by while their tree company is working and tell them if they would like to avoid land-fill fee, you have room at your place.

This whole thing started in March. Last week I drove by and saw that the trees had been cut into 8 foot or so logs and all the hangers were down. I figured I'd get in touch with my contact in the fall and ask if, now that it is down, I could come, cut it into manageable pieces and haul it away for them. Yesterday I get an email from him telling me that now that it is cut it is all mine, and could I come and get it this weekend? !!! I had to work today Saturday and I have plans for Sunday. I also don't really have the room for it on my 1/4 acre with nearly 10 cords stacked. I know I won't get much sympathy from you all crying about where to put a couple cords of Red Oak when I already have 5+ cords of Red and White Oak for 12-13 and 4+ cords of Black Locust for 11-12. Kinda funny that I end up getting this wood offered me in the end after all the BS about insurance. Now to find time and space...

Flatbedford said:
This whole thing started in March. Last week I drove by and saw that the trees had been cut into 8 foot or so logs and all the hangers were down. I figured I'd get in touch with my contact in the fall and ask if, now that it is down, I could come, cut it into manageable pieces and haul it away for them. Yesterday I get an email from him telling me that now that it is cut it is all mine, and could I come and get it this weekend? !!! I had to work today Saturday and I have plans for Sunday. I also don't really have the room for it on my 1/4 acre with nearly 10 cords stacked. I know I won't get much sympathy from you all crying about where to put a couple cords of Red Oak when I already have 5+ cords of Red and White Oak for 12-13 and 4+ cords of Black Locust for 11-12. Kinda funny that I end up getting this wood offered me in the end after all the BS about insurance. Now to find time and space...

When people figure out you can make wood disappear for free, it doesn't take long before you get more offers than you can handle. o cut dead/down trees.

I got started this week. I ran over after dinner and found out that I would have cut a (pretty sure) Sugar Maple branch that the Oak took out on its way down before I could get to the Oak. I'll take it.This is where it came from.
DSC06617.jpg

Looks like Sugar maple to me.
DSC06609.jpg

I got into the Oak yesterday.
Nice and easy to work here. It's an easy roll down the hill to a flat landing and the hill even makes a nice loading dock.
DSC06614.jpg

Looking up from the landing.
DSC06612.jpg

Nice stuff!
DSC06613.jpg

Plenty more.
DSC06615.jpg

Nice manageable load for an afternoon
DSC06619.jpg

I don't know what that second pic is, but it is not sugar maple.

lukem said:

+ 1 No way.Its got way too much heartwood for it to be Sugar,especially a log that size.
Good lookin' wood though.

Flatbedford- thanks for all the great photos and an interesting yarn. Nice score!
It was obviously well worth keeping in touch and waiting it out.

hey flatbedford...glad to see it all worked/is working out. Good problems to have. Nice looking stuff. way to hang in there.

Thistle said:
lukem said:

+ 1 No way.Its got way too much heartwood for it to be Sugar,especially a log that size.
Are the leaves on the tailgate are from that tree?

No. The leaves are from a sapling that had to be removed to get the truck in. I took it home to hide the evidence.

Woody Stover said:
Thistle said:
lukem said:

Are the leaves on the tailgate are from that tree?

According to Audubon Field Guide its either Chinkapin or Chestnut Oak.Both are native to his area.Leaves & bark are similar,can be very close sometimes.Neither one grows around here.

Flatbedford said:
The leaves are from a sapling that had to be removed to get the truck in. I took it home to hide the evidence.
Your secret is safe with us; It's not like we're gonna blab it all over the internet or anything... :lol:

Without pics, it never happened, so you'll need to delete those... ;-)

Thistle said:
According to Audubon Field Guide its either Chinkapin or Chestnut Oak.Both are native to his area.Leaves & bark are similar,can be very close sometimes.Neither one grows around here.
Chestnut Oak...hmmm...I like it. :) Certainly has the "Oak look" to the splits...
Flatbed, you know we need more pics. We're ate up with this tree ID stuff. We don' like no unsolved mysteries. :)
Closeups of the end grain might show medullary rays, and of course leaf pics would be great...

I thought that the bark of the mystery wood looked like Sugar Maple based on this.
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/trees.htm
The first picture in post #58 is the tree that the branch came from. The leaves look like Maple to me. I'll try to get a close up next time. Whatever it is, it splits about as easy as the Red Oak, but doesn't smell anything like it. It is a familiar tree smell from my childhood, I just can't remember what it was then, if I even knew. It is about the same density as the red Oak too, maybe just a bit less.

Ummm. Look at that picture (second) closely and notice the difference in the heart between the wood on the back of the truck vs. that one up front.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ummm. Look at that picture (second) closely and notice the difference in the heart between the wood on the back of the truck vs. that one up front.

Good eye! I guess we can all agree that it is firewood. I won't know how it burns until some time in early 2014, but I'll let you know.

[quote author="Flatbedford" date="1309577398"]I got started this week. I ran over after dinner and found out that I would have cut a (pretty sure) Sugar Maple branch that the Oak took out on its way down before I could get to the Oak. I'll take it.This is where it came from.

FBF, very nice score. Looks like some great btu's.

zap

I've been back for more a couple times.
Here's a shot of the loading dock like landing.
DSC06691.jpg

This stuff is getting bigger as I work my way down!
Busted 'em up with the Fiskars for easier loading.
DSC06692.jpg

DSC06699.jpg

About 1/3 cord per load.
DSC06696.jpg

I think I'll leave this one to rot.
DSC06698.jpg

Still more to go.
DSC06697.jpg

My new to me 036 https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/77112/#916071 is making this easier for sure. I have to make cuts from both sides with my 20" bar. Thankfully, I park the truck down hill from the trees so I can easily roll the rounds to the truck and break them up there. Even with the help of gravity, these things are heavy! Probably two or three more loads about this size to go.

Boy, I wish I had some of that stuff Steve. You can thank your lucky stars for wood like that.

I am thankful for sure. Good wood, less than 5 miles from home. Easy loading. It just doesn't get any better. I may need the sledge and wedge on the next trip. The rounds are getting a little big to bust up with a the just maul/axe. The only problem is that I my stacks are almost full. I will have to either wait until I start burning in the fall or make some temporary piles somewhere around the house. I am at about 10 cords on my 1/4 acre now. I will probably have to start stacking on the driveway soon. I finally cleared the driveway of all wood for the first time in almost a year. The wood piles really get in the way of snow clearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.