Score!!!! (update 01/01/12)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the missus feel about all that wood on your lot? Mine starts to get a bit antsy when I'm overflowin' the woodshed!!

Mine doesn't complain as long the house is warm, thankfully.

Mrs Flatbeford is ok with all the wood. It is in one row, on pallets, 4' deep, about 5' high and most of the 100' property line. It makes a pretty good privacy fence for the hot tub out back. She is not crazy about the stink of all this Red Oak though! The sun and heat really make the stink come out.

Oak does not stink Steve! Tell her that I said so. lol Actually I've always thought the oaks smell pretty good. Maybe it is just because I grew up using a lot of it and also sawed lumber and always liked the oak smell. Sometimes I wish they weren't so heavy though.

I don't mind the smell. In fact it smells like a warm house to me! Once you get over the cat piss shock of it, the smell is kinda earthy and comforting to me. I prefer the stink of Black Locust. No cat piss with all the earth of Oak.
It sure is some heavy stuff. The 1/3 cord or so loads I have been taking of this stuff make my V10 powered 3/4 ton truck work a bit. If I loaded up the old flatbed with this stuff, I would probably break something!

Flatbedford said:
She is not crazy about the stink of all this Red Oak though! The sun and heat really make the stink come out.

It sure does.I've been around the stuff for 30+ yrs now,still its pretty rank on a hot August day. Reminds me of a cross between Provolone,Limburger & my feet after being outside 8-9 hrs. :lol: White & Bur Oaks smell nice though,whether green or dry.Nice vanilla-ish scents.Great for cooking fuel also.

Reminds me of a cross between Provolone,Limburger & my feet...

Way too much information!

When I was a kid, my best friend's father built golf curses. He used to bring us to work to watch the machines. The stink of Oak reminds me of those days with all the trees they had to remove. Add a little Diesel and dirt and I would think I was 10 again.

I've cut, split, and stacked about a cord from this scrounge so far. Not moving very fast due to hot weather and getting home from work after 7 pm lately.
DSC06706.jpg

I only have room for about 1/3 cord more in my stacking area and there is probably about 1 1/2 still there. I'll probably stack quartered rounds on the driveway and split and stack them to refill as I burn this fall. I wish I had the room to get it all split and stacked sooner so that it could spend some more time in the summer heat.

Backwoods Savage said:
Oak does not stink Steve! Tell her that I said so. lol Actually I've always thought the oaks smell pretty good.
White Oak...best-smelling wood ever! Red Oak...sour, acrid, nasty-smelling. Burns like a champ, though! :)

I finally had some time to get back up to the camp yesterday. I wantt to get as much of this wood home as possible before it starts snowing again. The rounds are getting bigger! I put the 25" bar and chain that I just bought on the 036 so that I could get through with only one cut.
1114111137.jpg

This is such nice wood.
DSC06826.jpg

Nice size rounds. About a day's worth or more in each.
DSC06828.jpg

DSC06830.jpg

12 rounds made an easy truck load.
DSC06834.jpg

These loads usually stack out to about 1/3 cord.
DSC06837.jpg

I am trying to get as much wood home as possible before there is snow on the ground. I'm stacking it quartered for now. I will finish the splitting and fill in the racks as I burn this winter. This should be '14/'15 fuel.

Steve that is one fine haul of firewood!

Ray

nice score. gotta love when mother nature fells the trees for ya

ecocavalier02 said:

That's kinda funny. I have cut up many downed trees, but never cut down an up tree for firewood.

Flatbedford said:
ecocavalier02 said:

That's kinda funny. I have cut up many downed trees, but never cut down an up tree for firewood.
Makes it easier and a little safer i guess to. most of the time anyway. this weekend i cut up a pretty hairy one that uprooted during the storm we had here a couple weeks ago..

Flatbedford said:
I finally had some time to get back up to the camp yesterday. I wantt to get as much of this wood home as possible before it starts snowing again. The rounds are getting bigger! I put the 25" bar and chain that I just bought on the 036 so that I could get through with only one cut.
1114111137.jpg

This is such nice wood.
DSC06826.jpg

Nice size rounds. About a day's worth or more in each.
DSC06828.jpg

DSC06830.jpg

12 rounds made an easy truck load.
DSC06834.jpg

These loads usually stack out to about 1/3 cord.
DSC06837.jpg

I am trying to get as much wood home as possible before there is snow on the ground. I'm stacking it quartered for now. I will finish the splitting and fill in the racks as I burn this winter. This should be '14/'15 fuel.

What a fine score! Glad that all the insurance mumbo jumbo got worked out in a way that made it work in your favor.

Flatbedford, do I remember correctly you said you were running out of room at your place for wood storage? From the last pic looks like you have tons of space for quite a bit more wood. Great score and keep it going.

All my stacks are full now and I really don't have any space to start new ones. I am just starting piles on the lawn now. Who needs a lawn in the winter anyway? I am just over 13 cords on 1/4 acre.

Flatbedford said:
All my stacks are full now and I really don't have any space to start new ones. I am just starting piles on the lawn now. Who needs a lawn in the winter anyway? I am just over 13 cords on 1/4 acre.
I've got bout 14 or 15 cord on a third of an acre. A little bigger than urs but not much. Lawns are overrated and doesnt heat ur house either.

Flatbedford said:

Oh Crap.....I can here the wood police coming now.

Getting some nice loads there. Where is the old flatbed? Seems like a perfect time to use it on those big oak splits.

Steve, lots of us folks dream of getting that good of firewood!

Chargerman said:
Getting some nice loads there. Where is the old flatbed? Seems like a perfect time to use it on those big oak splits.

I don't think I could get the old flatbed into the spot where I load at this location. I used 4WD to back the F250 over some rocks and stuff and over some soft ground. I am afraid i wouldn't get back out with the old truck.

Awesome wood haul, Flatbedford. I love the photos you've been putting up here.

I have made some serious progress up at the camp lately. The new to me 036 plus the 25" bar and chain I bought have really made it go easier. I went up last weekend for all the smaller stuff that was laying around. I brought the wheelbarrow this time because the rounds are smaller and rolling each one down the hill would take too long. I got a small load but was able to do some cleanup for when I come back for the big stuff.
DSC06860.jpg

I had planned to take a couple rounds of the big trunk, but plans were changed by a rock that I didn't see under one of the branches. :shut: I think some time with the hand file will fix that though.
I went back yesterday with the old flatbed for the big stuff. The new full skip chisel chain on the 25" bar seems to be the perfect setup for the big stuff with the 036. It cut just as stronly as it would with the 20", but I could work from only the uphill side of the trunks. The rounds sure do get big near the stump!
DSC06863.jpg

DSC06865.jpg

That's the old 28" handle Fiskars there.
I got a bunch of monster rounds.
DSC06864.jpg

DSC06867.jpg

I quartered and even eighthed (is that a word?) them for easier loading. I'm guessing this load will split and stack out to just under a cord.
DSC06869.jpg

The old truck grumbled a bit with this load. I blew out one of the exhaust manifold to head pipe gaskets on the way home. It was a loud and slow ride home. I probably won't get it unloaded until after Christmas.
Looks like only one more truck load is left to come out of this score.
DSC06868.jpg

I hope to get it all home before snowfall. Hopefully by New Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.