Score with some work ahead of me pics+question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
The Pastor at my church stopped by and saw the new stove going. He told me there were some trees down behind the Church parsonage (off site). I stopped by and saw this. Not to mention the dead Ash trees around plus other goodies. How would you guys approach this tree. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• oak1a.jpg
    oak1a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 642
  • oak2a.jpg
    oak2a.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 641
In the first picture, cut off that limb first. Cut it to approximately 32" (depending if you want 16" firewood). Then lay those logs under the tree so when you cut the tree it will fall onto the logs you have down. If you think you need longer in case the tree rolls, then just cut some longer pieces. You no doubt can get one good one from the end (second picture).

Once you have some logs for the tree to fall onto, then comes the fun part. Just be careful. Look the tree over good to determine for sure if it will want to go left or right but based on the picture it appears it should drop straight down or just a little away from you, which is great.

Looking at the second picture, I would cut to the left of the crotch. You will stand on the opposite side of the tree from what is pictured. Cut the top not more than a third or just until you notice the crack coming together. Get the saw out quickly so it does not pinch. When I cut those I also cut the back side some. When that is done, you cut from the bottom of the tree. Be alert! Don't get your feet under the log either. Once it is down, it is easy to buck up into firewood length.

If you do try to drop that thing before you cut that one limb off it will definitely want to twist when you cut it. That is why you cut that limb off first and use the log to support the rest of the tree. Also, that way you won't be tending to hit the ground with the saw as you are cutting.

I hope this does not sound complicated because it is not. Those type for me are fun to cut up and will be for you once you do it a time or two.

Good luck.

I would probally cut the left hand side of the big tree frist using a wedge get that end on the ground where its not so busy and work my way to the right.

Jay, you really seem to have a love affair with those wedges! lol I very rarely use one. I remember about a month ago when I almost used a couple and noticed that one of my wedges were missing. I found it yesterday even though the snow hasn't melted. That danged thing was in the barn.... Right where it should have been.

Hey, I just noticed that this is my 5,000th post on hearth.com. I never thought I'd see that. Maybe I'm a bit windy at times?!!!! lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, you really seem to have a love affair with those wedges! lol I very rarely use one. I remember about a month ago when I almost used a couple and noticed that one of my wedges were missing. I found it yesterday even though the snow hasn't melted. That danged thing was in the barn.... Right where it should have been.

Hey, I just noticed that this is my 5,000th post on hearth.com. I never thought I'd see that. Maybe I'm a bit windy at times?!!!! lol

lol I must have a couple dozen of those wedges and use them most of the time its more so the size of wood I cut, and they can get you out of some bad lye's. Congrats on the 5000!

Thanks to both of you for your input. This is my first cut on a tree like this.

Jay- I got my chaps and helmet in thanks for the help. 40's fit a 6'3 guy great.

Dennis- Just a side note. I love the "Keep smiling." My father said that to my brother and I every morning as we left for school or he left for work. I say it every morning to my wife and kids now. He gets a kick out of it when he hears me say it to them.

smokinjay said:
I would probally cut the left hand side of the big tree frist using a wedge get that end one the ground where its not so busy and work my way to the right.

I agree. Work that tree from the base up to get some pressure off .Those octopuss arms can really reach out and smak u on yur azz.Woodn't hurt to take that one limb in the first pic off if its not leaning into anything. If you don't it's gonna want to twist the top as you work your way up the base. I always use wedges even if just cutting wood, just so uncle pressure doesn't get your prize saw.

FireAnt said:
Thanks to both of you for your input. This is my first cut on a tree like this.

Jay- I got my chaps and helmet in thanks for the help. 40's fit a 6'3 guy great.

Dennis- Just a side note. I love the "Keep smiling." My father said that to my brother and I every morning as we left for school or he left for work. I say it every morning to my wife and kids now. He gets a kick out of it when he hears me say it to them.

Thank you.

Well, too often I see people walking around looking as if they've lost their best friend; too many people with extremely poor attitudes etc. I'd much rather see a smile. I've also been known to walk in some places of business and seeing someone who may be having a bad day or they are even just known for being an old grouch. Sometimes I make a game out of it to see if I can make that person smile. 99% or more of the time it works too! Somehow it just gives me a good feeling to lift the spirits of another human being. It just makes my whole day.

Follow advice above it's all good. Use your foot to push a bit on some logs before you cut it can often give you a good feel for how it wants to fall and try to stay above the cut on the high side of the tree so it falls away from you. Keep smiling while you cut that tree !

Yep, looks like that thing can roll on ya and kill ya for sure.

I'd take every limb off first, and that piece on the top end there too.

Then I'd work the trunk end. Likely standing on the far side of the tree as pictured.

I'd cut down through about half way or so, then pound a wedge or two in on top, facing kinda away from my face so if it pops it flys away from me.

Then I'd finish cut up from the bottom til she drops. By the looks of it you may have to do this a couple times.

Always a good idea to place a log/limb under the tree at different spots so it'll fall onto that, giving you easier bucking.

Only other thing I might try would be to pull it over with a come-a-long, but it appears to be anchored good at the base.

work your way from the outer parts of the horizontal tree, and keep dicing it up in 3' increments untill its outta the vertical tree's way. if it does not come down on its own, then make a hinge cut, and stand back.

Status
Not open for further replies.