Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I have given some serious thought to getting a crosscut saw to cut the logs by hand. Unfortunately, I have a desk job and fear that my body might go into shock if I try to do this. I will probably get the chainsaw.

Here is the 3 foot crosscut saw I was considering. Can you imagine...no loud engine, no fumes, no gas, no special safety gear, no worries of slicing off a limb? I wonder if anybody on this forum uses one of these saws regularly?

View attachment 129202
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003092/39491/lynx-3-one-man-crosscut-saw.aspx

I bought a cross cut saw a while ago. It is fun for a few cuts. When they are sharp and in tune they really sing. If you want to go at the pile for a cut or two every evening for some exercise then more power to you. It might take a few months but if you persevere you will do it. I definitely would choose hand cutting pine over white oak and black locust.

Get a lot of gloves cause you will be getting sticky.

I am a huge fan of hand tools (I cut hay with a scythe), but seriously, a decent chainsaw is going to pay dividends here. If you tried with a hand saw, even if it didn’t tire you out too quickly, it would take a long time to buck and that would be very frustrating for you.
Get a decent chainsaw, keep the chain sharp and the bar oiled and get some PPE, and that stack will be gold.
Alright, thanks for the advise. Yes, now the task will be getting a good chainsaw and the PPE.

You also now have an excuse and a need to get a peavey or cant hook.

It was good getting those logs laid out flat. It will be much easier and safer getting them apart.

Did you ask for a load of oak and black locust next? They dumped a load of low BTU wood on you, they need to even the score.

You also now have an excuse and a need to get a peavey or cant hook.

It was good getting those logs laid out flat. It will be much easier and safer getting them apart.

Did you ask for a load of oak and black locust next? They dumped a load of low BTU wood on you, they need to even the score.
Since I am new to processing log length firewood, I don't much about a peavey or cant hook. How necessary are they? Do you think most folk who buck their own wood use one of these? And, do these tools save a considerable amount of time/effort?

As for the low BTU pine that I got. The company sells their hard wood log length loads for $700. The pine load was free, so I am grateful. They did me a favor and I am doing them a favor since they would other wise have to pay for it to be disposed of.

Great score, congrats! Pine is great for us newer guys because it dries quickly and is readily available due to the old wive's tale. We can have dry wood to burn with just a little extra effort while we wait for our hardwood to dry. I recommend cheap, throwaway gloves and old clothes for processing.

Great score, congrats! Pine is great for us newer guys because it dries quickly and is readily available due to the old wive's tale. We can have dry wood to burn with just a little extra effort while we wait for our hardwood to dry. I recommend cheap, throwaway gloves and old clothes for processing.
Well, I am new as this is my first winter ever burning wood. Thanks for the advise.

Since I am new to processing log length firewood, I don't much about a peavey or cant hook. How necessary are they? Do you think most folk who buck their own wood use one of these? And, do these tools save a considerable amount of time/effort?

As for the low BTU pine that I got. The company sells their hard wood log length loads for $700. The pine load was free, so I am grateful. They did me a favor and I am doing them a favor since they would other wise have to pay for it to be disposed of.

I can't speak for everybody who does log loads but I have a peavey for processing them. A peavey or cant hook will allow you to roll those logs apart and free of each other with ease. You are not going to be wanting to cut a log with another log on top of it. One shift and you can get crushed. It just isn't a wise thing to do. Conversely you shouldn't stand on the pile and cut because it can shift on you. With a peavey you can get at the end of a log and roll from there. Making sure that a longer log isn't going to come after you. They are also useful when cutting for rolling the log and finishing your cut. A plain old 5' metal pry bar is also very useful when dealing with a log pile like that. You can move logs apart with rolling them. Of course if you have a truck and chain you can pull it apart that way too.

Please tell me you are not going to burn that!!!!! I am sure someone here will tell you how BAD it is to burn pine. So if you buck it up to 16" rounds I will be glad to send one of my trucks by to pick it up and get rid of it for you:).

Cut it up stack it and enjoy the heat next winter. And by the way howdy neighbor.

Actually, I have given some serious thought to getting a crosscut saw to cut the logs by hand. Unfortunately, I have a desk job and fear that my body might go into shock if I try to do this. I will probably get the chainsaw.

Here is the 3 foot crosscut saw I was considering. Can you imagine...no loud engine, no fumes, no gas, no special safety gear, no worries of slicing off a limb? I wonder if anybody on this forum uses one of these saws regularly?

View attachment 129202
I use them at least once a week. Much more efficient with a longer blade and two people sawing. That little 3-footer will arrive dull, poorly set, and will tire you out fast.

If your looking for a cheap option in the saw department I just picked up a 50cc poulin pro with a 20in bar for 199 at home depot and its the best investment I've made. Tons of power and after 4-5 cords its been very reliable. I knows its no husky but ( some on this site can have a best saw or nothing mentality) but in my case I don't have 500 to drop on a saw. Its worked great for me

Please tell me you are not going to burn that!!!!! I am sure someone here will tell you how BAD it is to burn pine. So if you buck it up to 16" rounds I will be glad to send one of my trucks by to pick it up and get rid of it for you:).

Cut it up stack it and enjoy the heat next winter. And by the way howdy neighbor.
Thanks, looking forward to getting this seasoned!

I use them at least once a week. Much more efficient with a longer blade and two people sawing. That little 3-footer will arrive dull, poorly set, and will tire you out fast.
What do you use?

You will need a big saw. Man, some of those look big.
Yes, the biggest log is 3 feet at the widest part. I was thinking of getting an 18" chainsaw, what do you think?

If your looking for a cheap option in the saw department I just picked up a 50cc poulin pro with a 20in bar for 199 at home depot and its the best investment I've made. Tons of power and after 4-5 cords its been very reliable. I knows its no husky but ( some on this site can have a best saw or nothing mentality) but in my case I don't have 500 to drop on a saw. Its worked great for me
Yes, I hope to find the balance of finding a chainsaw that good enough but not having to pay an arm and a leg.

Yes, I hope to find the balance of finding a chainsaw that good enough but not having to pay an arm and a leg.
Poulin pro also makes an 18" that is probably a good saw. Whatever you do don't go with the 46cc ryobi. It is the worst saw you can get. I went through 2 before getting my saw and I'll never go back

Re: PoulanPro 20"

You can find that saw for $30+ less if you look around online. I saw it on Amazon for around $165 including shipping. Brand new. I have a 16" Poulan that I use in my garage to resize wood. Use it almost every night for 4+ months a year. Been very reliable for me. Understand that they won't last as long as some of the expensive models. You get yourself the 50cc, 20" and start saving for your next saw. :cool:

View attachment 129202

I can imagine you're going to want another man pulling on the other side of that saw.

No pun intended about the arm and leg payment for a chainsaw....;)

Around here at least, Craigslist often seems to have ads from people that bought a decent saw to deal with storm damage, used it once to do that and it either scared them or they don't have any more trees - so they sell it off. I've seen some pretty good prices on saws that are pretty much brand new.

I'm no expert on chainsaws - but I went to the power equipment store I trust, told them how much felling, storm damage and firewood bucking I thought I'd encounter and on their recommendation bought a Husky 455 Rancher with an 18" bar. I keep it sharp and I take it easy and it's all the saw I've needed so far. I've used it to clean up plenty of storm damage and to fell and process all sorts of smaller 12-24" DBH trees and even a red oak up to maybe 30" DBH using a plunge cut and the 18" bar. That's about as large a tree as I'd like to handle by myself given my experience level....and I admit it was a bit scary. _g Gotta lotta firewood outta that tree though.

This season I bought a 20" bar for it as well to buck a hickory that had fallen in the woods in my yard. Using it carefully and keeping it sharp - it doesn't seem to be too much bar for that saw at all.

PS - some felling wedges to keep your saw from binding when you're bucking a large log on the ground - and, as other suggested, a peavey or cant hook - would help you a great deal with that pile as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: isipwater
I have a tear in my eye, that pile looks so pretty, nice score, hopefully that's me in a couple weeks.

nice.....get them to bring me a load......and you better hurry and get that saw....don't forget a sledge and a wedge or maul or friskers....you're gonna havet a lot of splitting to do.

View attachment 129202

Great score on that load and priced right too!

I got a chuckle out of the one man saw comment. I inherited a number of large 1 and 2 man saws from my father's side of the family. My grandfather worked as a lumberjack in northern WI for many years. I think that on his last day on that job, he walked out of the woods, filed and set his saws, then hung them in the shed. I rescued a few of them lately. I use one of the one man saws occasionally. I don't mind making a few cuts, but there's no way I tackle a pile like you've got with one of them.... The novelty of using grandpa's saw would wear off real quick! I've even replaced the old family chain saws for something modern and easy to start. I went orange in keeping with my family's Scandinavian heritage.

DSCF9269.JPG
DSCF6412 - Copy (2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.