Score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
The township took down a big beech tree and several large ash trees about 200 yards from the edge of my property Friday. They chipped up the brush and cut the firewood into 8 foot sections, making the work area nice and tidy. Then they knocked on my door and asked if I want the wood. Gotta love that! Guess what I've been doing all day...

What - they didn't split and stack it for you? ;)

Sweet deal - nice score...

Nice score! A little envious...

Yeah, here in Ohio the ash trees are all but wiped out. There are so many standing dead ash trees that people can't keep up. People ask if I want wood all the time. I turn them down if it's more than a few miles away, because I can't keep up with the offers for free wood. No kidding.

Sounds great! I can't imagine being offered Ash and beech.

The ash is great. It dries fast and burns hot. I've never burned beech, but I've heard it's great wood when properly seasoned.
I like beech too. It burns very clean. I like two years for it to season, once it's dry it's good to keep it covered because it does tend to get the white mold on it.

Reactions: beatlefan
Nothing better than a front yard score!

I have a golf course nearby that has been letting me cut the dead ash.

There are so many... the emerald ash borer has decimated the population.

I've taken 3 standing dead ones so far this fall. All of them, when split have been 15 to 12% moisture.

Seasoned while standing!

The township took down a big beech tree and several large ash trees about 200 yards from the edge of my property Friday. They chipped up the brush and cut the firewood into 8 foot sections, making the work area nice and tidy. Then they knocked on my door and asked if I want the wood. Gotta love that! Guess what I've been doing all day...

Can't beat that with a stick!

Yeah, here in Ohio the ash trees are all but wiped out. There are so many standing dead ash trees that people can't keep up. People ask if I want wood all the time. I turn them down if it's more than a few miles away, because I can't keep up with the offers for free wood. No kidding.

I got plenty I can cut but I'm still envious of that!

I need proof of the score please:)

I need proof of the score please:)
score 1.JPG score 2.JPG
I'd already taken out about a cord when this was shot. Best part is there's no brush to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.