Score!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosetotail

Mar 3, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
I answered a curb alert ad on Craigslist. The ad was about 5 hrs old. When I emailed the poster he said there was a good bit left. I'm thinking that means the choice pieces were gone and what was left were the smaller branches and crotch pieces as is typical for a Craigslist "free firewood" ad.

When I finally got there, I pulled up to find this from a behemoth water oak:
IMG_20160409_190252961.jpg

The rounds averaged 12" to 14". Most pieces were cut 12" to 18 with several longer pieces. I spent the evening culling out anything that had two hearts or giant knots. Every pieces is super green with absolutely no dead wood.

This will be a nice break in for my new Isocore Maul that will be here next week. :)

Awesome score...

Is it ever really cold in FL...........LOL.......... Nice score. Craigslist is either ur best friend or ur worst enemy........

Relatives that lived there would bundle up pretty good in December & January when we visited ... for them it was cold. For us, not so much;lol

I burn mainly for the love of fire and the quality family time. We typically have a few months where the temps hover between 60 and 30, I will burn inside if it dips below 40. And outside as long as it is in the 60's or below.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Currently -2C/28F. Not as cold as this -50C Christmas 2013. Kids were throwing boiling water at their Dad!!

Attachments

• Christmas 2013 118 (800x533).jpg
    Christmas 2013 118 (800x533).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Oldman47
Well. I do not envy you for that. We have had a nice run of spring weather here.

Yesterday's high was about 65 and we had the coldest night in a month last night, It dipped down to a frigid 44 degrees this morning. ::-)

Nice to find something like that. I first thought - what in the world kind of plants are those?...then I saw the location. I had a friend from a warm climate visit in August. It was a typical late August evening, maybe in the low 60's. He was freezing, put on a light jacket. Have the wood stove going today in Connecticut. Although it's nice seeing things growing, grass turning green outside, I have mixed emotions because I'll miss the fires.

Looks like money well spent for the maul!

Reactions: Nosetotail
Currently -2C/28F. Not as cold as this -50C Christmas 2013. Kids were throwing boiling water at their Dad!!
You know it is cold when you try to write your name in yellow snow and all you see is tiny ice balls rolling across the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.