SCORE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Look what the wood fairy left in my driveway today.

All hardwood splits, about 20" long, dry and been sitting outside seasoning since last year. Hard to tell, bu the pile is about 6 feet tall...we'll see what it stacks out to be this weekend.

Guy at work know a guy who keeps trying to give him wood becasue he wants it gone. Turns out he converted to geothermal a couple years ago and got rid of his OWB, but he had a couple years worth of wood already setup. He came today with a 10 wheeler dump truck so I got probably about 2.5-3 cords for free.

I'm hoping to get more...he may have upwards of 50 cords of wood...claimed he has about 20 truckloads.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 493
That is awesome - if I were him I'd be selling it.

I did score 2 40' Black birch trees yesterday though:

You may have to turn your head to the side.. And that's the dreaded pine in the foreground.

Attachments

• Image169.jpg
    Image169.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 488
How much? and how much will it cost you? nevermind, I never want to hear this story again. Makes me sick. Lucky son of a woodgun. Whats next? A free stove of your choice? HOW THE HECK??? anyways, good score. And you just might end up with a lifetime supply of wood. I'm still in aw of you

If your in a position to do it, reward him with a bit of cash and offer to buy several more truckloads. If you can get it all for 25% of going rate you may never have to cut & split again.

Yeah, I'd be happy to give him cash. I offered to leave him $50 to at least cover his cost of deisel to get out to my house but he wouldn't take it. I almost feel bad. Almost.

This is my first real score since I put the stove in a few years ago and it could turn out to be the motherlode for me if I cn make it work. Hell I'd be happy to go to his place and haul it all out of there a pickup truck load at a time. Might take me a year to do it, but that way I'd also have plenty of time to make places to put it all.

Tossed a piece in the stove last night, it was a nice hunk of hard maple that ran the stove nicely for about 3 hours...fit right in with about an inch to spare lengthwise...it was a litttle on the moist side, but it was from a recent rain, not sap. Pile appears to be mostly hard maple, ash and some other stuff I haven't identified yet. No odor of wood coming off the pile or anything, so it really does seem to be seasoned wood.

Told my guy here at work that I'll take as much as the guy wants to get rid of...even if I have to toss it into the woods till spring to keep it off the driveway for the winter.

Free wood is good. Delivered is better. Already split, even better. Free, delivered, split, and seasoned is a dream. Pinch yourself.

That's an awesome score! Here's to hoping it works out for ya. That could deliver on so many levels.

Isn't he going to stack it for you?

I will bring my driveway over and he can fill 'er up! ;-)

Shari

Make hay when the sun shines!

I wouldn't take that much wood unless they stacked it for me. ;-)

I thought about refusing it unless they stacked it for me, but they came when I wasn't home and had the nerve to dump it precisely where i wanted it. Bastards.

Still haven't stacked it, but I had the presence of mind to throw a couple layers of plastic over it before we got 7" of snow on Saturday. Nightime project for the next couple weeks I guess.

Still really excited that it finalyl worked out. This is my first genuine score...the rest has been dropping my own trees in my yard or having to buy wood in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.