Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
My friends calls and says I got wood you want it? ... I go over and apparently a tree fell on his house ... well he paid a former tree guy under the table to cut up the tree along with some hickory trees .. didn't want a tree to reach his house again....2 white oaks from 2-3 ft wide 75 feet up with about 4 hickory trees.... I get all the oak as the tree guy wants to sell the hickory.. best part - all I gotta do is split ...he wants a .5 cord for his fire pit so of course I am gonna split it for him ... I am looking easily at 2 cords at least more if I pull some of it from the brush .. will post pictures tomorrow!
Hopefully my friend will let me use his tw-5

Take care of that friend! It sounds like you might have some good firewood.

Snag a few pieces of the hickory for the bbq!

I will def hook him up.... was just wondering where I was gonna put it all ... hopefully neighbors won't call the town and maybe I can sell a little cause this will def have me 3+ years out

I am trying to get him to give up that hickory but looks like a no go..... so far

I hope my splitter can run all day!
This will be its first real all day running test

Makes that hemlock look pretty silly.

SolarAndWood said:

Lmao! And a lot cheaper! And much less of drive!
Should I split it there or split it at home? If I split there I can throw the mess in the woods if I do it at home gotta go to the dump, but splitting there is more trips to my house......... hmmm

I always bring rounds home because I like to keep it in as few pieces as possible as long as possible. I figure its also an hour and a half per cord splitting I can spend at my leisure around the house. That and the cord on my splitter isn't long enough.

iceman said:
SolarAndWood said:

Lmao! And a lot cheaper! And much less of drive!
Should I split it there or split it at home? If I split there I can throw the mess in the woods if I do it at home gotta go to the dump, but splitting there is more trips to my house......... hmmm

I've tried both methods and prefer to haul the rounds home and split . . . it's more of a mess in the yard . . . but I can split at my leisure, splitters don't really tow all that well so I don't like to haul it very far and it seems as though I make fewer trips to the wood lot this way . . . plus you can rake up the splitter trash and keep the larger pieces as kindling.

I don't have to go far but I still haul the splits out of the woods before splitting. Besides, I cut in the winter and the splitter starts mighty hard in the cold air. The nice part is that I can just stack the rounds in a somewhat straight pile and set the splitter right next to it. This allows me to sit while splitting an not have to lift those rounds another time.

I haul the rounds home and split while taking them off the pickup, seems like less handling to me and now that I have wood coming out of my ash hole I am in no hurry.

I half or quarter the rounds if they are big so that I can lift them onto the truck. Small stuff gets loaded as is. I stack at home and hand split for an hour or so whenever I have time. If the White Oak is green, you can probably split it as fast by hand as you could with the splitter, make much less noise, and not have to deal with towing it to the wood.

I can't get the pics up can someone please help me? Dunno how to make them small enough says can't use 1200x1200 pixels?

What do you have for a photo editor? If you use Microsoft Photo Editor, open the image, go to the image menu, select resize. Change from inches to pixels. Make the larger of the dimensions 1200 and save.

PM sent on how to shrink pictures.

here is a pic finally

Attachments

• IMAG01091.jpg
    IMAG01091.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 229
now unable to receive my submission!

Attachments

• IMAG0111-1.jpg
    IMAG0111-1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 227
The website has the capability of assessing the level of jealosy among the members, and if it senses that level to be excessive, it will delay the posting of photos of particularly desireable content, in order to allow the members to unwind a bit. Helps to keep the peace. Nice looking wood you got...get to work on it. Rick

fossil said:
The website has the capability of assessing the level of jealosy among the members, and if it senses that level to be excessive, it will delay the posting of photos of particularly desireable content, in order to allow the members to unwind a bit. Helps to keep the peace. Nice looking wood you got...get to work on it. Rick

I give up, lol. My pics were to big (1200x1200) then I shrank them but still bigger than 700kb, then unable to receive, ... lol. There are more pics but I give up for now!...
All in all there were over 50 large rounds, like the big ones you see in the pics, all red and white oak,... outta the 50+ we got it down to 17... we also split almost a cord for him... we also spli t some small stuff that was 2 pickup loads in a crew cab......

Wow! Nice haul.

heres another
you cant see but behind the wood is all tree tops with more wood for me to pull out

Attachments

• IMAG01121.jpg
    IMAG01121.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.