Score?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I've had a tough time finding good wood this year. A coworker mentioned that she had a bunch of wood that had been cut 2 years ago on her property that she and her husband have been burning in a barrel to get rid of. I told her I'd take it. So it turns out to be pine, but dry enough (15-20%). Loaded up the truck yesterday on the way to the river house, C/S/S 1/3 cord. On the way back picked up another truckload. There's more to be had, so I figure that I'll just use it as I need it. Hopefully, in the spring I'll start to be able to scrounge some hardwood for next year. So it's a lot of work for pine, but it's burning well, and free is free, right?

Attachments

• IMG00002-20110109-1650.jpg
    IMG00002-20110109-1650.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 374
Free is free, agreed. If you think about it, even if this is the lowest btu wood, it's at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the btu output of the best wood, so you can't go wrong. Split 'em up!

Definatly a nice score! If it is good and dry, its' gonna burn fast and hot - watch it! if the other wood you have is not soo dry, maybe mix it together with the pine, just keep and eye on the chimeney.

jdinspector said:
Free is free, agreed. If you think about it, even if this is the lowest btu wood, it's at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the btu output of the best wood, so you can't go wrong. Split 'em up!

Yeah, but that was hard work! I'm concerned with effort per BTU!

I use pine to burn down large coal accumulations in the fire box after many days of burn. Its hot, and low ash. Does a great job of keeping the house warm while reducing the amount of ash/coal removal.

How did you load your logs? My back would be screeeaming!

smokinjay said:

He said pine not beech

Looks like dry, seasoned, free BTUs to me. I wouldn't pass it up. There will be plenty of times to mix it, or burn it when quick and hot is the ticket.

Pine is fine. It'll keep you warm. Never turn your nose at a gift log. All wood has about the same btu per pound. Pine may have a bit more since it has pitch.

Matt

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

He said pine not beech
I said pine, not balsa! Plenty heavy, I promise, especially loading by myself. Just dragged from woods, hauled onto truck. Unfortunately, no special tricks. Back's hurting after splitting the first load. About to start to tackle that truckload. Gonna split enough to last until I can get a 36" Fiskars.

A truck full of free well-seasoned pine is always better than an empty rack where the oak, sugar maple or hickory would be.

As for me . . . I like pine . . . burn a decent amount of it in the Spring and Fall and sometimes in the Winter when I'm staying around the house and don't mind feeding the fire a little more often.

Can't be well seasoned . . . the c/s/sNazis here isist wood don't season until bucked and split :lol:

Screw the BTU charts . . Pine is better than Hemlock, Aspen and Basswood. But burning it in a stove is probably trickier than in a boiler.

Try charging your co-worker for cleaning up her place . . . use the money for some Oak :)

smokinjay said:

Lift one end of log and stand on end. Slowly tip it into the truck and then raise the bottom end. Many times carrying logs (usually not very long; 6' maybe) I've stood them on end and then tipped them to the shoulder. Bending knees, tip the thing right up so it balances on the shoulder. It is amazing how much more weight you can carry that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.