Score?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So I finally stopped at the lumber processing plant that I pass by on my way to the vacation house and asked then for scraps. I loaded up the car with a bunch of 6x6x8†(I assume) pine blocks. Thought they were kiln dried, but they're apparently green wood.
Pros: free. Unlimited supply. Perfect size to load up a small firebox and pack in. no work at all.
Cons: pine. Wet.

If they were dry, this would be a no-brainer. Still seems like a pretty good deal though. Wondering how long they'll take to dry. Thinking small bark less pieces of pine will dry pretty quick. Since this couldn't possibly be less work, I'm still excited. Figure I can get a cord or so before the summer, have it dry by next year, and use it while I'm home to trends the fire, saving the better stuff for at night.

Free wood is good wood . . . and great for kindling or shoulder season fires.

This is my year to see if pine could heat my home exclusively. The reason being that I can often get pine, bucked and delivered free.
I started with 3 cord of pine and 2.5 cord of mixed hardwood, about half or more oak, the rest fruit (apple, pear, cherry, maple).
Prior to last weekend's cold snap I loaded in 2 heaping barrows of pine and one not heaping barrow of oak (it was so cold I selected out oak for overnight).
That wood lasted till tuesday, at which point I loaded in two heaping barrows of pine. I intended to bring in hardwood too, but slacked instead.
Here it is friday morning, and I still have enough pine to last till tonight. Yesterday morning I packed the stove at 8 a.m., the house was seventy. I returned at 5:35 p.m., still firing, house at 65 degrees.
9.5 hr on a load of pitch pine and there was still enough to easily go another hour without needing kindling to get going again. That being the case, I loaded last night with just pine again, for virtualy the same result. This morning I turned the air up a bit, waited a few minutes and threw in some more pine splits.
At this point, I will likely use oak only if the prediction is for less than 20 degrees, and/or lots of northerly wind.
So far I have used 1.5 cord pine, .5 cord hardwood, and some of the hardwood was just being lazy. It has been a mild winter though, in a normal winter I would have used more of both, but especialy the hardwood. I hope to end the heating season with a cord of hardwood still in the shed, unless I run out of pine.

I will not be turning down hardwood opportunities, but I also will not turn away ANY softwoods unless my staging area is full. In truth I like the spuce, fir,cedar and eastern pine better than the pitch pine, but pitch pine was my workhorse this year.

I doubt your new source has any pitch pine, it sounds like TOTALY AWESOME FUEL to me, especialy in that size/shape. Stack it high (off the ground) and loose and you will love it.

Pine is all I've been using this year. Works ok for me. Pat

It may not be a "touchdown" but its definitely a field goal Nola! Free wood is a good thing! :)

And if it is dry, then maybe it would be a 2 point conversion?

If I had easy access to a such a deal, I'd stock up. I'd like to season a whole bunch of those chunks and split for kindling and keep some for shoulder season. Get a bunch - hard to go wrong! Cheers!

firefighterjake said:
Free wood is good wood . . . and great for kindling or shoulder season fires.

+1
& cut & easy even better.
Good score

Status
Not open for further replies.