1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Scored a $100 splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Bret Hart, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    Operation log splitter lift kit got started yesterday. Still need to add some bracing to the axle. It's strong enough as it is for my intended use but I usually over do things just in case my, or the next owners, needs change. I'm sending a length of 2" square tubing with the neighbor to work, they build mowers and have metal bending equipment, to form a drop hitch to weld under the main beam. Then just need to make a kick stand to support it and should be in decent shape. For now anyway.

Attached Files:

raybonz, Jags and triptester like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Nice, that will make a world of difference.
  3. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    My Fathers Day present to myself was some primer and 4 cans of gloss black spray paint. I ended up with 2 cans of gloss and 2 cans of flat because someone decided it would be funny to switch out the caps that indicate color. Oh well, guess another coat won't hurt.

Anyhow, I should have the tubing for the hitch back from the bender soon and then I can get this project wrapped up.

Attached Files:

HDRock, DexterDay and raybonz like this.
  4. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Looking good.
  5. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Used an old unit just like that one for 3 or 4 years. Split almost 20 cords on it. I was getting ready to change things up and add a lift to it like you did when we moved and left the old girl behind. Now we have a new 27 Ton unit. It was a dependable old machine only problem I can remember having was the forward loop that held the ram broke (most likely from over working it) replaced that. Never had an issue with anything else. I did remember that the reservoir was small and that fluid would get a little warm if we were using it for long periods of time. For 100 bucks and the time you have into it you should have a dependable splitter. Also very easy to repower with a new engine, ours had been replaced shortly before I got it.
    PS how is that SnoWay Plow working for you, got one last year only plowed a and full of times with it so far?
  6. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    I have the same splitter, got it for free at my wife's grand-parents farm. Her grandpa was a welder and made a larger reservoir for the hydraulic fluid because of over heating. When I picked it up it had the original engine that was blown and a bad seal in the ram. The seal was a easy fix, but getting clip out of the seal was a pain. I picked a new briggs off eBay and it lined up perfect on the splitter. It really is a good splitter, but mine is gonna get a lift too! One year of splitter 7 cords on your knees is enough. Overall for a your $100 initial investment I think you got a really nice unit.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    nice!
  8. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    Thanks everyone.

Got the drop hitch welded on and painted. Still need to cut the old hitch off but getting closer to done. I was worried about the small hydraulic tank and heat build up so I will likely add this tank to it after some run time with new oil to give her a good flush. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466863_200466863

Only other thing I'd like to add to it as of now is a jack for the front the splitter so I don't need to keep it hooked to the golf cart or tractor. Not sure if one with a wheel for ease of moving would be a good choice or not. Something like this is at the top of the list for now. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466904_200466904

Sorry about the messy shop pics. Been quite a bit of work coming in lately.

The Sno-Way plow has been great. Paid even less for it than the splitter, $40, and only needed to buy the truck light harness. Came off the same year and model Dodge too. Bolted right on.

Attached Files:

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I dont even have a shop, but my carport/shed is way messier than that!!!!
  10. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    Nice skins on that baby!
  11. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    Made a little more progress and at least it's back to usable again.

Attached Files:

triptester, raybonz and HDRock like this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

You selling that GKIV for scrap or what? ;lol :p
    Bret Hart likes this.
  13. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    Been waiting for a back ordered transport valve for a few weeks. Just got the part yesterday and the machine done last night. Replacing that valve is my least favorite job on a GK IV, in fact, I'd rather do a full rebuild of the valve bank.
    MasterMech likes this.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I like the way those reels cut but that unit is no favorite of mine either. ;lol