Scored a cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I didn't get to see the tree or any of the brush/leaves. I think its ash?

Attachments

• 041310load.jpg
    041310load.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 619
  • 041310split.jpg
    041310split.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 610
Cool S&W

Gotta be nice to just go and pick it up! Looks like ash to me too.

Billy

Works out pretty well, this is my 5th load from this guy. He calls and gives me an address and time. He has the tree processed, the brush already gone and there is a full load waiting for me. He doesn't want to deal with the big stuff and I don't want to deal with the small stuff. Its super nice that his jobs so far have been on my way home from work. All it cost me was a little extra gas to tow the trailer yesterday and a little Ibuprofen this morning as it had to be carried down about 40' of steep stairs. We're doing it again tomorrow 2 doors down from this one.

Nice score Solar, still picking up ASH at your age!

zap

lol, although she was a little heavy in the rear end. I had to go slow working my way through SU hill.

I figure I've got another 50 years of burning ahead of me so at some point I will have to retire from scrounging when I can't get those rounds into the trailer any more. Hopefully by then I will have a couple hundred acres so that I can pull logs to the shed behind the old Ford.

Great opportunity.
Sometimes the best ability is availability!
Happy burning.

I think its availability and reliability that does it. These trees are on tight city lots with old houses converted to multi-unit student housing. He can't leave trees or piles laying around and doesn't have time to deal with someone who doesn't show up, is picky about what they will take or can't make a good sized pile go away.

I think it is Norway Maple, but I am not sure why I get that impression. If it was growing on a city lot, that is a good indicator of Norway Maple. Ash and Norway maple rounds look about the same to me on the internet.

Great score there! You should take a few more picture of that wood. That may not be the ash you think it is, but it might. More pictures would help.

Couple more shots. Beautiful evening for splitting; high fifties and a nice sunset.

Attachments

• 041410split1.jpg
    041410split1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 041410split2.jpg
    041410split2.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 495
My little splitting buddy checking out the stability of the heap.

Attachments

• Hootwoodpile2.jpg
    Hootwoodpile2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 530
SolarAndWood said:
My little splitting buddy checking out the stability of the heap.

Queen of the Mountain!

Sounds like you have a good arrangement going with that tree cutter S&W...those are the best scrounges.

smokinjay said:
Queen of the Mountain!

She was pretty proud of herself. I finished splitting and went into the garage to grab a beer. Came back out and found her up there.

wood spliter said:
I have the same arrangement with my tree friend. He is my old boss and sometimes even dumps it at my house.

I suppose delivered would be the ultimate scrounger level. Haven't figured that one out yet.

savageactor7 said:
Sounds like you have a good arrangement going with that tree cutter S&W...those are the best scrounges.

Definitely a sweet arrangement. Scored another cord this evening after work. 2/3 of a cord of whatever was in the load from Tuesday and then some big rounds from what I think was a dead beech.

wood spliter said:
but I might have to pick it up.

I'm happy to pick it up. Helps him out and keeps him calling me back.

Thanks, looks like the splitter and I will be spending a few hours of quality time together tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 041610 rounds.jpg
    041610 rounds.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 250
SolarAndWood said:
Couple more shots. Beautiful evening for splitting; high fifties and a nice sunset.

Yes, it looks like ash.

Thanks Dennis. After following the what is this split threads for a couple of years, I'm starting to pick them out.

How do you get any splitting donw with that nice view you have there? :)
Nice score.

Thanks Dave, having no furnace is the primary motivational force. I used to despise splitting but the electric horizontal splitter on the terrace I built this past fall with that view makes it pretty pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.