Scored a new project: VC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanBob

Nov 18, 2007
RI
A neighbor was throwing out his perfectly good Vermont Castings fireplace insert, so I got offered to take it off his hands. It's in generally good shape but needs one glass pane, a few broken bricks replaced and a little sanding/painting. I don't know what it weighs but I couldn't move it at all until disassembling the front from the firebox, at which point I was stunned at how much the firebox itself weighs - maybe 300 lbs?

I hope to have it rehabbed and warming my living room by the end of the year.

good job on the find, and you can't beat that price either ;-)

but why'd you have to take it apart. all you need's a couple deep breaths and a HEAVE.

post some pics before and after the rehab.

thebeatlesrgood said:
good job on the find, and you can't beat that price either ;-)

but why'd you have to take it apart. all you need's a couple deep breaths and a HEAVE.

post some pics before and after the rehab.

I imagine you're an Olympic-class powerlifter? That firebox was HEAVY, and the front piece alone must weigh over 125 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.