scored a nice load of wood today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
took 5 truck loads out and it doesn't even look like we touched the pile. the guy is giving it to me for nothing.. gotta love that... gonna go and get a load or two every day after work till its gone.. figure it will keep me busy for a while...

Attachments

• wood 005.jpg
    wood 005.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 599
O U T S T A N D I N G!!!!

Kath was on CraigsList today and read a post under 'free stuff'. It said "free OAK firewood delivery", I was suspicious and called the guy since it was pretty local.

YEP.. no brainer... the guy was selling wood and would deliver it FREE... I said I would pick up the FREE wood.... guess what he said?

Anyway.... flagged the post on CL and balled the guy out for the ruse.

Again... damn that was a GREAT score,
Jim & Kathy

Hey abj1969,

Where are you in S. NJ?... That photo had to be taken in the Piney's... we are in Wharton State Forest.

Jim & Kathy

wahoowad said:
Sweet! What is it?

If it's in the Pine Barrons it has to be red/white/black oak or pine/cedar.

Nothing else that size grows here because the soil is so acidic.

On the second look expanding the photo... Black/Red OAK!!!

YIKES.. whatta a score

its oak... i'm in berlin but the wood was in franklinville...

wonder how much it will be when split .

now i guess i'll have to invest in a splitter. no idea where to even start though.

good for you .... i am sooo jealous i wish my luck was that good

abj1969 said:

now i guess i'll have to invest in a splitter. no idea where to even start though.

Start with a 6lb or 8lb maul. Oak is generally easy to split.

Maybe a good chain saw if you don't have one yet. Those rounds will split with a good maul.

abj1969 said:

You might look into renting a splitter unless you plan on splitting for a long time. Get a couple of helpers and you would be surprised how fast splitting will go with 2-3 people helping.

Shipper

Nice score! I picked up a bunch of similar wood recently..though no where near that much.

If you're not sure about how deep you want to get into a splitter you might try an electric one. I picked up a Northern Tool 5 ton (metric ton...actually 11,000 lbs) electric a couple weeks back & it pops oak like the logs you have without much effort. Splitter was $279 (on web, picked up locally) when I bought it...it's quiet too.

Have fun.

fishboat said:
Nice score! If you're not sure about how deep you want to get into a splitter you might try an electric one. I picked up a Northern Tool 5 ton (metric ton...actually 11,000 lbs) electric a couple weeks back & it pops oak like the logs you have without much effort. Splitter was $279 (on web, picked up locally) when I bought it...it's quiet too.
Have fun.

Those look like pretty large rounds, would your NT splitter accommodate those beefy critters?

Thanks,
Jim

t5hanks guys.. i think i'm gonna buy a splitter so i can use it in the future.. i may have a connection with a tree guy to drop it at my house.. if that goes through then i'll definatley need a splitter.

fishboat - 26 November 2007 07:33 AM
Nice score! If you’re not sure about how deep you want to get into a splitter you might try an electric one. I picked up a Northern Tool 5 ton (metric ton...actually 11,000 lbs) electric a couple weeks back & it pops oak like the logs you have without much effort. Splitter was $279 (on web, picked up locally) when I bought it...it’s quiet too.
Have fun.
Those look like pretty large rounds, would your NT splitter accommodate those beefy critters?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
The rounds in the pic look to be pretty straight-grained. I wouldn't be surprised if it could. I've split 16-17 inch diameter rounds that I have. Red oak & cut about 3 weeks back. OTOH...I tried 9-10 inch seasoned elm (elm, I think, no bark) and it wouldn't touch it...nor would it touch some knarly branched pieces of red oak. I was pretty surprised when the larger, straight-grained oak rounds just popped open.

author="fishboat" date="1196140699"]fishboat - 26 November 2007 07:33 AM
Jim,
The rounds in the pic look to be pretty straight-grained. I wouldn't be surprised if it could. I've split 16-17 inch diameter rounds that I have. Red oak & cut about 3 weeks back. OTOH...I tried 9-10 inch seasoned elm (elm, I think, no bark) and it wouldn't touch it...nor would it touch some knarly branched pieces of red oak. I was pretty surprised when the larger, straight-grained oak rounds just popped open.

Good deal, yep, we know about those knarly critters. Sometimes some of the rounds we split with the maul seem like they are made of rubber. After 3-4 hits, if they don't spit, either they become food for the ants/termites or go in whole rounds for the all-niters.

the only problem with electric for me is that the uncut/split wood is at the far end of the yard.. about 500 feet back so an extension cord wont really work for me...lol. i think i would be better with a small gas one.. don't know anything about them thouhg

abj1969 said:
the only problem with electric for me is that the uncut/split wood is at the far end of the yard.. about 500 feet back so an extension cord wont really work for me...lol. i think i would be better with a small gas one.. don't know anything about them thouhg

It might be time to switch gears of that Mopar and head over to "The Gear" forum. Great threads there on saws and splitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.