Scored a pellet deal this morning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished unloading 46 bags of Granulco pellets I got for $4.25 a bag. I cleaned the place out. I would have bought a few ton if they would have had them.

Excellent score! The Granulco is a good pellet in my experience. More to the point, here in Halifax that sort of price has not been seen for a few years.

I've been buying Trebios, 20 bags at a time (about all my VW will carry), from the local WalMart at 4.96 per bag. Kents had Cozys on for $4.79 last week, but they don't seem to throw near the same heat as the Trebios.

I do like them. Trouble is, not much competition here in Halifax, so when WalMart started carrying wood pellets it was a big deal.

I was in Portland Maine a few weeks ago, and was struck by the greater pellet choice and better prices - even on Canadian made pellets.

I was in Portland Maine a few weeks ago, and was struck by the greater pellet choice and better prices - even on Canadian made pellets.

Geez, I feel sorry for you guys. I thought our options were limited compared to others, so if you're impressed with what we have to offer, then I guess we're not too bad off.

Nova Scotia has one big pellet mill: Eastern Embers. Good quality pellet and they really control the market. There are a few small mills, but the quality is a big question mark. One fellow I know has a mill, but the pellets seem to produce piles of ash. Another mill uses MDF sawdust. He makes a super hard, hot burning pellet, but the emissions from the MDF cause me concern so I don't burn them.

All of the other pellets we have are imported from New Brunswick (Canawick, Cozy), Quebec (Trebios, Granulco), Newfoundland (Burning Embers) and even from Maine from time to time. The trouble is, it seems as though they are all price fixing at around $5.50 per bag. This is why the WalMart competition was such good news, even though it was not a huge deal at $4.96 per bag.

FYI - WalMart grocery carts can hold no more than 12 bags of wood pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.