Scored! And it's hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Had an arborist come out and give us an estimate on a big old maple next to the house that is on it's last legs. When I told him I needed it cut for firewood rounds he asked if I wanted to get some madrona. Turns out his next job was cutting up a complete tree and the property owner didn't want the wood. I dropped everything and ran over with the pickup truck and got 3 loads. It's about a cord total of green madrona. Unfortunately the rest is going to a neighbor, but it was a nice score. Hardwood! And I am getting a free cord of alder from another neighbor today. Looks like our 2013 wood supply is starting to take shape nicely.

Madrona is a bear to hand split when dry, but a joy when green. This gave me an opportunity to try out my Fiskars for the first time. Wow! Splitting was actually fun. In an hour I had split up about a third of the wood. What a great axe!

Madrona? I haven't heard of that. I'm guessing it's Madrone? If so, that's a great score!
The Fiskars cuts through wood like butter when it's new. Even when the coating wears off (in about a week) it still splits great. I picked up the hatchet last night. I already had a hatchet, but I needed a backup.
:lol:

I still have a bit left from a 2-cord load I bought a couple of years ago...mixed Oak & Madrone. Guy brought it over the mountains to Bend. We very rarely see any of that kind of wood out here in the high desert east of the Cascades. I like it very much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_menziesii

BeGreen it sounds like you have an early Christmas. Great score for sure.

Awesome, BG !!

Nothing like a decent score :)

Hardwood and no pics?

fossil said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_menziesii
OK, got it.
"It is also known as the Madroño, Madroña, Bearberry, or Strawberry Tree." BTU looks similar to Dogwood...nice!

SolarAndWood said:
Hardwood and no pics?
Yeah, I'd like to see some bark and split pics; I've never seen this wood. Pics of the resulting stack would be nice, too. :)

It started raining, but I'll catch some pictures when it stops. Locally we call it madrona, but yes it is also called madrone. It's a beautiful tree, one of my favorites.

BeGreen said:
Had an arborist come out and give us an estimate on a big old maple next to the house that is on it's last legs. When I told him I needed it cut for firewood rounds he asked if I wanted to get some madrona. Turns out his next job was cutting up a complete tree and the property owner didn't want the wood. I dropped everything and ran over with the pickup truck and got 3 loads. It's about a cord total of green madrona. Unfortunately the rest is going to a neighbor, but it was a nice score. Hardwood! And I am getting a free cord of alder from another neighbor today. Looks like our 2013 wood supply is starting to take shape nicely.

Madrona is a bear to hand split when dry, but a joy when green. This gave me an opportunity to try out my Fiskars for the first time. Wow! Splitting was actually fun. In an hour I had split up about a third of the wood. What a great axe!

Excellent score BG!! Hardwoods are a bit harder to come by out your way so that's a big plus.. I do wonder why hardwoods aren't so plentiful there.. Is it the climate, the soil or some other factor? Here we get both soft and hard woods..

Ray

BeGreen said:
It started raining, but I'll catch some pictures when it stops. Locally we call it madrona, but yes it is also called madrone. It's a beautiful tree, one of my favorites.

That might be next June!

Very Nice! :)

I stacked up the first face cord today and took some pics. Company has been here so not much else happening until they leave. First shot is of some mature madrona trees. The next is the splits and then some unsplit rounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0857web.jpg
    IMG_0857web.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0858web.jpg
    IMG_0858web.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0859web.jpg
    IMG_0859web.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 555
Wow, I have never seen anything that looks quite like that, pretty cool. Congrats on the score

Thats is possibly the weirdest looking tree bark I've ever seen. Good job on the fre score though!

Wow! That is really good looking. Good job on the score.

certified106 said:
Wow, I have never seen anything that looks quite like that, pretty cool. Congrats on the score
That looks like something you'd find in a jungle somewhere! :gulp:

mayhem said:
Thats is possibly the weirdest looking tree bark I've ever seen. Good job on the fre score though!
+1

Hiram Maxim said:
mayhem said:
+1

'Zactly what I was thinking. I think this may officially be the first "score" post I have ever seen from BG. :cheese:

Except for the color it reminds one of sycamore.

Woody Stover said:
certified106 said:
That looks like something you'd find in a jungle somewhere! :gulp:

Madrone is one of my favorite trees. It only grows in certain conditions found on the NW Pacific coast, sometimes in complete forests. I hope to take some time to visit a local park where there are large groves. When you see them on a foggy day, they look like ballet dancers with their beautiful forms. It differs from many hardwoods. Although it sheds it's old leaves in fall, it keeps the new ones and is evergreen like the eucalyptus. This can be hard on the tree when there is heavy wet stove and really bad when there is an ice storm

It's also is a nice furniture wood, with some exceptionally grain patterns and burls.

http://www.custommade.com/madrone-burl-biedermeir-cabinet/by/joelshepardfurniture
http://woodwording.blogspot.com/2008/07/pacific-madrone-tree-is-found-locally.html
http://www.furnituredesignstudio.com/shop1.htm

Definitely some funky looking wood, never seen anything like it but the splits looks excellent! Be sure to post pics of this stuff burning BG I'd like to see it.. Does it season fast?

Ray

raybonz said:
Definitely some funky looking wood, never seen anything like it but the splits looks excellent! Be sure to post pics of this stuff burning BG I'd like to see it.. Does it season fast?

Ray

No, it dries slowly, especially for the large splits that I like to put in the T6. I won't be burning it for a year or two.

my buddy would love to get his hands on some of that for his wood turning

Status
Not open for further replies.