Scored another load! Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xikar

Feb 25, 2013
Connecticut
This should keep me busy for a little while! Scrounged this from a job site Im working on. Land clearing company said to help myself, so I did! A lot more coming too. This should get me ahead of the game for next season now. My goal is 10 - 12 cord c/s/s by New years. Not sure what it is though, my guess is mostly maple?

IMG_20130905_081105_zps236af186.jpg

IMG_20130905_081124_zps35a2223c.jpg

You have all the maple except the syrup. Nice score. Perfect size rounds.

Very nice XiKar. No limbs ready to C/S/S.

Reactions: ScotO
Agree all maple there . Great firewood. Season pretty fast too. :cool:

Agree all maple there . Great firewood. Season pretty fast too. :cool:
Is sugar maple a two year season, and silver a one year season? That's what I've always heard.

Is sugar maple a two year season, and silver a one year season? That's what I've always heard.
I agree with that.
Nice score, Xikar! Methinks that if there were only two kinds of wood in the world, soft and hard maple would be perfect.

That's right on Pyro.....if cutting green.

Thanks fellas! Brought back another load yesterday and some of the pieces are close to 40" diameter!!! I think it's time to invest in a larger saw... LOL
I would definitely invest in a larger saw. Maybe buy bar chain on the roll and make your own chains. Looks like you are playing in the big league. The sugar looks to me like its up against the rusty rebar wire. You have room there for a Weber grill. Sugar maple makes great smoking wood. I know it sounds gross but old wheel hubs make great smoking grills too.
Looks like there room there for even a processor.
Most people who can move wood like that dont want to bother with firewood processing and those of us who do bother usually dont have anything except a chainsaw and a wheel barrel.

I agree with that.
Nice score, Xikar! Methinks that if there were only two kinds of wood in the world, soft and hard maple would be perfect.

Thanks!

I would definitely invest in a larger saw. Maybe buy bar chain on the roll and make your own chains. Looks like you are playing in the big league. The sugar looks to me like its up against the rusty rebar wire. You have room there for a Weber grill. Sugar maple makes great smoking wood. I know it sounds gross but old wheel hubs make great smoking grills too.
Looks like there room there for even a processor.
Most people who can move wood like that dont want to bother with firewood processing and those of us who do bother usually dont have anything except a chainsaw and a wheel barrel.

I will try out the smoker thing! I am in the market for a new grill so I may turn my old weber into one. As for the wood and processing, we own an excavating company and these pics were taken in the rear of our yard. Plenty of room for a processor but it's not in my budget anytime soon. Still working on getting a bigger saw and need to invest in a splitter as well.

Soft maple is one of the fastest drying woods available and we've burned it at 6 months after splitting and stacking and it burned nicely. But it will depend upon where you stack it to dry and how you stack it. It may take longer but still under a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.