Scored some free wood after the storm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is the old craftsman I still use and love. The key is the light weight and the curved handle. Straight handles are no good for me. The curve with a hook on the bottom let you torque your swing much easier. Also I like mine very dull, not sharp. I’m splitting mostly oak and I don’t want a sharp tip that can get stuck. I want it to crack the rounds not cut the fibers.

7E07603C-24CE-45E0-BACC-44B0C046CC92.jpeg A376C13A-844A-4A3A-8F2B-63E0A78C0EB1.jpeg 2B5696C9-6D17-421C-BA2B-F8B63116E4F2.jpeg 0D22FACD-0644-4133-B09C-863D66D06460.jpeg

This is the old craftsman I still use and love. The key is the light weight and the curved handle. Straight handles are no good for me. The curve with a hook on the bottom let you torque your swing much easier. Also I like mine very dull, not sharp. I’m splitting mostly oak and I don’t want a sharp tip that can get stuck. I want it to crack the rounds not cut the fibers.

View attachment 315290 View attachment 315291 View attachment 315292 View attachment 315293
Nice! If that’s a Craftsman, then I suspect my favorite 6 lb. maul, re-handled many years ago with no maker’s mark, must also be a Craftsman. I painted it many years ago, but now I’m half tempted to go sand the paint off and look for that stamping mark.

Nice! If that’s a Craftsman, then I suspect my favorite 6 lb. maul, re-handled many years ago with no maker’s mark, must also be a Craftsman. I painted it many years ago, but now I’m half tempted to go sand the paint off and look for that stamping mark.
I thought mine was not marked as well. But then looked very hard and wife said put some flour or baking soda on it to help read what is engraved. And then it worked, you could for the 1st time see the letters. Craftsman

Reactions: Jonathco and Ashful
I was able to get outside after work, for a few minutes before dark and try out the sawbuck. Entire books could be written on all the things I still don't know about wood processing, but overall I am still figfuring out efficiencies and I'd say it works well!
1694694138876.png

I need to get a maul actually. Any brand/model recomendations?
I also use the fiskars X27 and love it. For a maul I have the Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb maul. I really like the combo. break up big knotty oak with the 8 lber, and then switch over to the X27 for the smaller chunks, or anything that's easier splitting.
1694697568064.png

Reactions: Jonathco
I also use the fiskars X27 and love it. For a maul I have the Fiskars IsoCore 8 lb maul. I really like the combo. break up big knotty oak with the 8 lber, and then switch over to the X27 for the smaller chunks, or anything that's easier splitting.
View attachment 315378
I wondered about the IsoCore - reviews look really good on it. I had also considered a Council Tool maul, but the reviews all say the handles are trash and break. Looks like I need to pick up a maul for those big rounds of wild cherry I have!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Try and stack it bark side up. That way as the wood dries and the bark starts detaching from the split, it won’t hold water between the bark and the split.
I didn't even think about that. Good avice, thank you.

There's a debate about this in the movie Frozen, which makes me chuckle and think of this forum, every time my kids re-watch that movie. I imagine one of their writers must have been a hearth.com poster, at one point.

• Haha
Reactions: Jonathco