Scored some free wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fugazi42

Jan 22, 2008
Connecticut
Hi everyone..

Just stopped by to say hi and show off the free firewood I scored today.. I figured you all would appreciate how excited I am, and exhausted, after today's work.

On the way to the office I passed a DOT and tree crew taking down some huge trees by the river. They had already taken down a huge oak and were working on some ash and beech down the road a bit. I asked the foreman and he told me to take as much as I wanted. I knew what I had to do: I turned around, went home, called in sick to work, and grabbed my gear.

The red oak was about 48" DBH and cut into a bunch of 8' sections. The first few I couldn't even touch with my 20" bar. I worked on the four "smaller" sections, maybe 36" or so.. Later, the DOT guys dragged over a nice 18" beech which I also took. I wound up with three heaping eight foot bed fulls of read oak and one of beech. All together it should be at least 2 cords. This is more than 1/2 the wood I'll need for next year, so I'm really happy about this find.

Anyone else find any good free wood lately?

Here's a picture.. The chunks are bigger than they look in the picture. There's a MS361 in there somewhere for a size reference.

Josh

P2200035.jpg

Nice score! Great job keeping your eyes open. When you show up for work tomorrow, those aches and pains are going to be really obvious. ;-)

Fugazi42 said:
Hi everyone..

Just stopped by to say hi and show off the free firewood I scored today.. I figured you all would appreciate how excited I am, and exhausted, after today's work.

On the way to the office I passed a DOT and tree crew taking down some huge trees by the river. They had already taken down a huge oak and were working on some ash and beech down the road a bit. I asked the foreman and he told me to take as much as I wanted. I knew what I had to do: I turned around, went home, called in sick to work, and grabbed my gear.

The red oak was about 48" DBH and cut into a bunch of 8' sections. The first few I couldn't even touch with my 20" bar. I worked on the four "smaller" sections, maybe 36" or so.. Later, the DOT guys dragged over a nice 18" beech which I also took. I wound up with three heaping eight foot bed fulls of read oak and one of beech. All together it should be at least 2 cords. This is more than 1/2 the wood I'll need for next year, so I'm really happy about this find.

Anyone else find any good free wood lately?

Here's a picture.. The chunks are bigger than they look in the picture. There's a MS361 in there somewhere for a size reference.

Josh

P2200035.jpg

Nice score and sounds like you got a good start for next year. Keep your eyes open and check craigs list. The seasons are changing and soon you will see a ton for free on there.

I got 2.5 cords of nice Red Cedar "today" and I have 3 cords of Doug fir to pick up this weekend, all bucked up into 20" just haul it away. Its nice to have friends in the big tree business. Got 2 cords of maple last week.

Nice score. I just got lucky myself. Our fire local company dropped 7 oaks next to our new fire hall. I called our fire chief and let him know I would gladly clean up...Four pick-up load so far!

roughly how does a full 8ft pickup box measure in "cords"??

I pretty much measure usage in pick up loads, as I never have a chance to stack it all in one place and measure it.

I got a standing dead hickory yesterday - the tree company dropped it, took the smaller stuff and left the rest in ~20" pieces.... NICE.

I tried some in the stove last night - it burns LOOOOOOONG!

Where is hickory on the BTU rating scale?

Hickory is right at the top in the BTU heating scale. Best of the best. Smells great too!

Good deal. I see cut wood along the highways all the time. Someone is picking it up because later I just see sawdust.

I like your wood shed. What size is it?

It's too small :)

I built it before we started heating with wood. I intended it to hold firewood for our fireplace. It's 8x6 and about 7' high so it holds about 2.5 cords. I wish it were twice as big.

Josh

To try to answer Milner's question- my pickup bed is 8x5x20" deep, which is 70 cubic feet, or just over 1/2 cord. If I tightly stack stove-length splits to the level line of the bed I figure it's 1/2 cord. If I'm moving big rounds or chunks of wood like in the picture above, or if I carry a heaping load, I figure it's closer to 3/4 cord. These are all just rough measurements of course. I won't know how much it really is until I get it split and stacked.

milner351 said:
roughly how does a full 8ft pickup box measure in "cords"??

I gotta tell a story!

Years ago, there was firewood advertised in the paper by the truckload. I called and a woman answered. I asked how big the truck load was and her response was "I don't know, but it's pretty big, the truck has a lot of gears".

I kid you not!

<sigh>

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.