'Scotz'-hausen???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but the problem is they're almost 28-30" diameter....they're too big!!

Noodle them in half and have a half circle bin butted up to the wall. One on each side flanking the stove. Just throwin' ideas out there.

Reactions: ScotO
Well, since we're throwin' ideas around, here's another........maybe split 'em up and use 'em as ..........firewood.:p Just crazy enough to work.
Friend of ours cut down a hollowed out Oak a couple years ago and gave us a couple rounds. They've been planters since.:cool:

Yeah, but the problem is they're almost 28-30" diameter....they're too big!!

Have seen hollow cottonwood rounds used as outside flower pots.
Take the bark off, urethane the outside, fill with potting soil. They last a few years.

My lovely wife has officially conceded to the fact that I will NEVER EVER quit getting firewood. We're going to have to buy some ground somewhere, as soon I'll be totally stocked up here, I have wood up at my inlaw's place, and I'll soon be out of room......;em

I think my wife will have to get to that point.....SOON. I just swung by the main farm where I have always cut most of my wood. I was just passing by to say Hi and chat a few minutes hopefully with one of the brothers that I am close with. The older brother that basically runs the operation said you ready to cut some wood. Why I said knowing that I had most everything that needed cut done Answer....I just bought another place and there are trees that need to come down. I know though how he is if I don't get after it he will either find someone else or just dozer them in a pile and light them on fire. Pray for me that I can buy a little time Scotty. o_O

I think my wife will have to get to that point.....SOON. I just swung by the main farm where I have always cut most of my wood. I was just passing by to say Hi and chat a few minutes hopefully with one of the brothers that I am close with. The older brother that basically runs the operation said you ready to cut some wood. Why I said knowing that I had most everything that needed cut done Answer....I just bought another place and there are trees that need to come down. I know though how he is if I don't get after it he will either find someone else or just dozer them in a pile and light them on fire. Pray for me that I can buy a little time Scotty. o_O
;lol;lol;lol;)

Actually, those hollow rounds are white beech, Lukem.....
I don't expect them to last forever, just something for the time being...but I kinda the idea of making "containers" or something else for inside the house. Just not sure how much the Missus will like that!!

Probably could get away with heavy poly coats on the inside allowing it to still dry out evenly (might already be pretty dry if it's like some hollow oak I cut down). Just empty and check each year. Or a simple plastic liner.

Heck of a load! That little single axle was well over it's limit, good thing you were just in the "neighborhood". :)

Did you give your truck and your trailer a couple of pillows to sleep on? :rolleyes:

Looks great, nice neat pile while waiting to process it, a lot of wood too....enjoy

That truck has been a great work vehicle......I love that GMC! She deserves a state k of pillows to sleep on, she definitely earns her keep!

As for the trailer, yeah, she's seen better says. A dual axle mod is in the works for her down the road. We also found a slide-in dump bed locally. May look to buy it if the price is right and mount it in the trailer!!

Pretty pile, Scotty. Keep up the good work. Looks like you'll be needing to sell off some of your stash at one point. How many years are you ahead now, ten? LOL. I've got to say between you and Dennis that if the s;@t ever hits the fan you guys are going to be finding out you have a lot more friends than you thought...

I like it...

How many years are you ahead now, ten? LOL.
I should be solidly at 5 years surplus by the end of summer, with all the tree jobs me and my buddy have lined up. And I should have some stuff to sell at the end of summer, on top of that. This load of wood I have in the first pic of this thread almost makes up what I used all winter long!! So the wood I got last weekend will replenish most of my stacks here at the house. I'm going to make some more room behind my small garden tool shed for around 4 more cord. That'll put me at 5 years (around 30-32 cord).

Yes, I have a problem!!:eek:

Nah.....;lol

They're clearing a good sized lot around the corner from me, colossal pile of stuff looks mostly small though 6-10".
GF says - Don't you enough wood?
Never sweetheart..never

Nah.....;lol

They're clearing a good sized lot around the corner from me, colossal pile of stuff looks mostly small though 6-10".
GF says - Don't you enough wood?
Never sweetheart..never
That stuff is the perfect size. one split on the bigger pieces, smaller pieces go right on the stack!

my wife has been telling me to find her some hollow rounds for flower pots

I should be solidly at 5 years surplus by the end of summer, with all the tree jobs me and my buddy have lined up. And I should have some stuff to sell at the end of summer, on top of that. This load of wood I have in the first pic of this thread almost makes up what I used all winter long!! So the wood I got last weekend will replenish most of my stacks here at the house. I'm going to make some more room behind my small garden tool shed for around 4 more cord. That'll put me at 5 years (around 30-32 cord).

It's the kinda problem many wouldn't mind having. You definitely have a good cushion.

It's the kinda problem many wouldn't mind having. You definitely have a good cushion.
I learned it on here, from the masters (like Backwoods Savage, BogyDave, Zap, PapaDave, etc...). I used to only get what I needed for a year or maybe two. But since then, I've learned a lot. I got three years ahead, and what a difference I'm seeing. This was my first actual year using three year seasoned wood.....and my flue was cleaner than ever before...

If you can get at least three years ahead on your wood (split, stacked, and seasoning) you'll reap big benefits...

My goal is to be 1-2 years ahead by the end of this year. The problem I have is finding places to put my stacks. Right now I'm set for this coming winter and about a cord+ into the oil lowing year. I might buy a couple cord by the summer to stay ahead. I figure I can live with at least 2 yer old wood, but hope to get to 3 years one day.

You did learn from the best. There's a lot of experience and wisdom there. Hats off to all of our professors.

Status
Not open for further replies.