Scramble mode how you setting for this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Girlfriends son is on scramble mode this weekend. He has big piles of monster rounds and the city is on him. (Party Saturday) ;-) He buying! Where are you at? Hope its at-least a year ahead and Fishing!

Splitter is tune-up, and ready for a 5 cord weekend and lots of young HP!

Holy Crap. I have no friggin idea what you are trying to say. Indibonics?

Scramble is the word I would use. Sitting at 4 cords split and maybe 1 still needing split. Sadly no where near the amount needed. Will be buying again this year but hopefully can get a jump on next year.

mywaynow said:

5 cord splitting party Saturday....Your invited! ;-) Are you in a scramble mode for this year or is this season already stack and setting pretty? (Gf is Girlfriend)

Around here we all jump in to help out! Pretty large group of guys in this area that burn.

I have more then what I burned last year, and much better wood to boot. I have been trying to get out in the woods for some quick drying shoulder season wood before hunting season gets here, but this heat we have been having has been making it tough to do it. I got out early this morning, and cut some dead fall, and a little tulip that had been laying down. I have yet to get a year ahead, but I am trying !!

Attachments

• Picture 002 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 002 (Medium).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 600
IndianaTech said:
I have more then what I burned last year, and much better wood to boot. I have been trying to get out in the woods for some quick drying shoulder season wood before hunting season gets here, but this heat we have been having has been making it tough to do it. I got out early this morning, and cut some dead fall, and a little tulip that had been laying down. I have yet to get a year ahead, but I am trying !!

Same issues here. City on his but with a 5 cord pile of rounds, so he got some extra motivation this weekend! :lol:

working on next years amd the next. Looking for high quality maple, oak and locust now

Good luck on splitting that wood this weekend Jay. I think I might do some scrambling sometime in October to move about 3 cord into the barn. I think we have enough wood to hold us this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Good luck on splitting that wood this weekend Jay. I think I might do some scrambling sometime in October to move about 3 cord into the barn. I think we have enough wood to hold us this year.

My splitter is the guest of honor....lol Not me, Thank God....But temps have cooled a bit. ;-)

I too had some "splitting parties", but since I bought a splitter I can do a little at a time....much better! Now the parties are at the horse shoe pits :)

I'm working on 3 years out on my wood. Don't see a reason to go any farther....but, if wood is available and temps are under 90, I'll fire up the saw 4 sure!

muncybob said:
I too had some "splitting parties", but since I bought a splitter I can do a little at a time....much better! Now the parties are at the horse shoe pits :)

I'm working on 3 years out on my wood. Don't see a reason to go any farther....but, if wood is available and temps are under 90, I'll fire up the saw 4 sure!

Yea glad my rush for wood is over two. Got a couple rookies but they have scrounged over 12 cords of wood between them since late April. They could wait till fall on this wood but the city See's it different. :lol:

They tryed to hide a couple cords across a small river (That he owns) But the neighbor on that side went crazy over it. Glad I am out of the city limits.

I have 4 cords of ash and 1 cord of black locust (for those brutal Jan. and Feb. nights) up and drying since last October. I just sent an e-mail to my tree company friend yesterday inquiring about a delivery of rounds so I can get a jump on '12/'13. He drops as much wood as I will take in my driveway for free....saves him from having to travel or pay $$ to dump it out east.

I have 4 cords of ash, maple, locust, & hackberry. I only burn at night & on weekends starting in late November or December. This will get me through the next couple years. Working on getting wood for 2013 now.

mywaynow said:

Glad to see it wasn't me . . . I thought for a minute Smokinjay was writing "Pookenese". ;)

firefighterjake said:
mywaynow said:

Glad to see it wasn't me . . . I thought for a minute Smokinjay was writing "Pookenese". ;)

Yea happens allot. To many things going on at one time.....Glad its all verbal commands around here and NO NOTE TAKING WHAT SO EVER......The commercial goes but a got a note dose not stand up in Court Here! :cheese: Thats good for me! lol

No scrambling here yet, just steady collecting now, mostly dead and dry looking oak and sycamore that happens to fall off the trees in the woods behind our house........

Getting over 2 years ahead really does mean I can enjoy collecting steadily for the future without too much panic.

Going over to a friend next week to help him process some wood, he really does not have too much in store yet, although I try to get him to work and plan ahead......... ;-)

No scramble here. I am about 5 years ahead. I have been paying alot of attention here. I have about two cords of Maple to be split and stacked. AT MY LEISURE.

For once, I am not actively seeking anymore for a while, I am getting a little bored.

KC

smokinjay said:
mywaynow said:

5 cord splitting party Saturday....Your invited! ;-) Are you in a scramble mode for this year or is this season already stack and setting pretty? (Gf is Girlfriend)

Around here we all jump in to help out! Pretty large group of guys in this area that burn.

Sounds similar to what my neighbor use to do. They would have a tri-axle of unbucked logs
delivered, and then they would spend a weekend cutting & slpitting the stuff.
Then they would divide the cordage between them.
It was very cost & time effective.....

Oh, by the way, my woodshed is almost full - one (1) small row left!!
Last year, which was a long, cold winter, I needed the full contents of
my shed to get by (about 3 cords). I'll have that and probably another
cord out on racks for early usage. Should be OK.....

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Oh, by the way, my woodshed is almost full - one (1) small row left!!
Last year, which was a long, cold winter, I needed the full contents of
my shed to get by (about 3 cords). I'll have that and probably another
cord out on racks for early usage. Should be OK.....

Thats pretty good from where you live.....

Can't make it jay.....gotta go down to Owen county. Only 1 splitter?

2+ years ahead on the wood.....but u knew that lol

Bocefus78 said:

Tom and Steven said you would make it......You know what I said. ;-)

smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:

Tom and Steven said you would make it......You know what I said. ;-)

Lemme guess......too hot?

Uhhhh. Should I be concerned that Jay's op made sense to me? 10 cord c/s/s 20 to 30 to go till my other lot is cleared, then it's cut anytime I can. A C

amateur cutter said:
Uhhhh. Should I be concerned that Jay's op made sense to me? 10 cord c/s/s 20 to 30 to go till my other lot is cleared, then it's cut anytime I can. A C

Some just quicker than others ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.