1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Scramble mode how you setting for this winter?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by smokinj, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I think I'm set for '11. Got dead standing wood this Summer; Ash that was split 1-2 months ago, and Black Cherry that's been split about a week. But the first stack I'll burn is pretty dry already; 1/2 cord of Sugar Maple, Ash, a little Black Oak and Elm. I also have a little Black Locust that I'll save for cold weather.
    I've got one SIL pretty much done, but the other SIL only has maybe 1/3 cord...she needs at least 2 more cords. I'm going to get some Silver Maple (I think...may be Red) and dead standing Ash for her this weekend. There's also a Tulip top over at her place. I'll have her split everything small, and hope for good drying weather this Fall.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    No scramble here.Burn 3-4 cords in normal season,have just over 3 yrs worth ready to burn as of now.Once a week weather & work schedule permitting I get in the woods & cleanup more deadfall,drop the needed snag & am gradually getting caught up.Should be 4 yrs ahead when finally done sometime later this November or December.Then I'll take a couple yrs off & cleanup the occasional storm damage when needed.
  3. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    I currently have 2.5 seasoned split and 3/4 cord Slabwood. Here soon I will be getting 3 cords seasoned cordwood from my BIL and that should be more than enough for the year. I do however want to get into the woods soon and start pulling logs. It would be nice to get ahead for once. The only thing that slows me down is it's easy to buy it already seasoned and it saves me time. I need to get back into some physical work.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

I have enough wood to carry my to 2013, and just bought enough to carry me to 2015.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    20 cord. I'm good to go.
  6. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    12 cord waitin to go in shed ,about another 1 1/2 cord of oddballs for shoulder. 60', 22" poplar blowdown from recent storm will also be going on the shoulder pile for spring.

Attached Files:

7. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    No need to scramble, I am a couple of years ahead, but I am iching to cut some firewood. it has been a while since I cut much. vacation first, them maybe I'll get cutting.
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

Guys, it's 1 cord, 2 cords... Where is "2 cord" coming from? If I have 2 apples, it's not 2 apple.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    1 deer, 2 deer.
  10. Beardog

Beardog Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    At 9 cords now, another 3 to get, hopefully that puts me 3-4 years ahead. Never have too much though. In a few short months those stacks will be disappearing faster than I can replenish them....
  11. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Scrambling for wood now because it is available and close. I have around 35 cords now, another 2 on the ground to c/s/s.
  12. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Just backing you up. Webster agrees with us, too.
  13. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Scramble no. Need to get off ash and go find some wood yes.
  14. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    OK folks, is this the record? Has anybody got more than 35 cords stacked? :bug:
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Only one I know who had more at one time was Eric Johnson. I think he was over 40 cord one fall.
  16. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    :lol:
    LOL Its just splitting rounds in place...Nothing like watching a splitter for 6-7 hours. I think he has 4 guys dont counting me on the lawn chair ;-) He is promoting it very well.....Cook out and beer No mention of splitting! :lol:
  17. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    have 4 cord c.s.s. 2 cord in rounds and dont Know who much I will go threw for sure. first whole winter heating new shop and first winter heating house with boiler. I figure I need at least 8 cord total to be safe. Would also like to get a year ahead so yes scramble time as soon as work slows down a little.
  18. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    This winter looks good, next winter looks good, and the next, and the one after that, and maybe the one after that. Might be time for a break ;-)
  19. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I need to get 1 more cord split and stacked to be 4 years ahead. It's cut out in the woods but I ain't going out there until the mosquitoes and raspberries are dead.
  20. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I'm gonna be burning a lot of pine. I didn't get near enough of the good stuff stacked. I might be able to get some more walnut cut, but I just don't think it will be ready. I'm still cutting and splitting this pine and I'm pretty sure it will be ready to go by this fall. I have about 2 cords of good hardwood that I can burn, too, but it's stacked behind the pine, lol. Definitely not ahead like I should be.

Scrambling kinda describes how I'm going about it at this point, lol.
  21. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Scrambling? Naw, my woods drying. But picking up wood for next year on scrounge's, which has been quite fruitful here lately. Its been too hot lately to do a push, glad I did it earlier in the year.
  22. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I'm not scrambling, but I'm not great either. I've got enough wood split and stacked for this winter and I think I'll have about 1 1/2 cords left over for next winter. The only issue I have is it's not all seasoned. We'll see what happens. Some of it is good and seasoned, but not all of it. We'll see.

I'm still open to scrounging for seasoned stuff. Last September I scored like a cord of seasoned and split oak which was a huge help for that winter. That was incredible.
  23. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish. LOL Now you know I have a 2 year old and 4 year old.
  24. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Me, I am scrambling like crazy. I have 1.4 cords (i.e., 15' x 6' x 2') stacked with a small second stack started out. have a little over a truckload split sitting at my parents and waiting to be hauled up here this weekend or next week. Will probably be getting another cord next week. I have a bunch of wood left to c/s/s at a client's place down the road. I should be a year ahead by the end of the year, but who knows. Might even end up 2 years ahead, but time will tell.

My big issue right now is hoping that this stuff dries enough before I need to start using it. Hoping to get some dead dry stuff from that client mentioned above because I know the trees have been down for 3+ years. I'll know a little more about that come the end of the month.
  25. shawneyboy

shawneyboy New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Scrambling? Naw. I got 4 cords dry and ready to burn this up comming season, and another 12 or so (still growing) seasoning for the next 3-4 years.

Shawn