Scramble mode how you setting for this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm set for '11. Got dead standing wood this Summer; Ash that was split 1-2 months ago, and Black Cherry that's been split about a week. But the first stack I'll burn is pretty dry already; 1/2 cord of Sugar Maple, Ash, a little Black Oak and Elm. I also have a little Black Locust that I'll save for cold weather.
I've got one SIL pretty much done, but the other SIL only has maybe 1/3 cord...she needs at least 2 more cords. I'm going to get some Silver Maple (I think...may be Red) and dead standing Ash for her this weekend. There's also a Tulip top over at her place. I'll have her split everything small, and hope for good drying weather this Fall.

No scramble here.Burn 3-4 cords in normal season,have just over 3 yrs worth ready to burn as of now.Once a week weather & work schedule permitting I get in the woods & cleanup more deadfall,drop the needed snag & am gradually getting caught up.Should be 4 yrs ahead when finally done sometime later this November or December.Then I'll take a couple yrs off & cleanup the occasional storm damage when needed.

I currently have 2.5 seasoned split and 3/4 cord Slabwood. Here soon I will be getting 3 cords seasoned cordwood from my BIL and that should be more than enough for the year. I do however want to get into the woods soon and start pulling logs. It would be nice to get ahead for once. The only thing that slows me down is it's easy to buy it already seasoned and it saves me time. I need to get back into some physical work.

I have enough wood to carry my to 2013, and just bought enough to carry me to 2015.

20 cord. I'm good to go.

12 cord waitin to go in shed ,about another 1 1/2 cord of oddballs for shoulder. 60', 22" poplar blowdown from recent storm will also be going on the shoulder pile for spring.

Attachments

• Wood Shed 2010 002 (Custom).jpg
    Wood Shed 2010 002 (Custom).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 257
No need to scramble, I am a couple of years ahead, but I am iching to cut some firewood. it has been a while since I cut much. vacation first, them maybe I'll get cutting.

Guys, it's 1 cord, 2 cords... Where is "2 cord" coming from? If I have 2 apples, it's not 2 apple.

NATE379 said:
Guys, it's 1 cord, 2 cords... Where is "2 cord" coming from? If I have 2 apples, it's not 2 apple.

1 deer, 2 deer.

At 9 cords now, another 3 to get, hopefully that puts me 3-4 years ahead. Never have too much though. In a few short months those stacks will be disappearing faster than I can replenish them....

Scrambling for wood now because it is available and close. I have around 35 cords now, another 2 on the ground to c/s/s.

NATE379 said:
Guys, it's 1 cord, 2 cords...
Just backing you up. Webster agrees with us, too.

Scramble no. Need to get off ash and go find some wood yes.

mywaynow said:
I have around 35 cords now, another 2 on the ground to c/s/s.
OK folks, is this the record? Has anybody got more than 35 cords stacked? :bug:

Only one I know who had more at one time was Eric Johnson. I think he was over 40 cord one fall.

:lol:
Bocefus78 said:
smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:
Can't make it jay.....gotta go down to Owen county. Only 1 splitter?

2+ years ahead on the wood.....but u knew that lol

Tom and Steven said you would make it......You know what I said. ;-)

Lemme guess......too hot?

LOL Its just splitting rounds in place...Nothing like watching a splitter for 6-7 hours. I think he has 4 guys dont counting me on the lawn chair ;-) He is promoting it very well.....Cook out and beer No mention of splitting! :lol:

have 4 cord c.s.s. 2 cord in rounds and dont Know who much I will go threw for sure. first whole winter heating new shop and first winter heating house with boiler. I figure I need at least 8 cord total to be safe. Would also like to get a year ahead so yes scramble time as soon as work slows down a little.

This winter looks good, next winter looks good, and the next, and the one after that, and maybe the one after that. Might be time for a break ;-)

I need to get 1 more cord split and stacked to be 4 years ahead. It's cut out in the woods but I ain't going out there until the mosquitoes and raspberries are dead.

I'm gonna be burning a lot of pine. I didn't get near enough of the good stuff stacked. I might be able to get some more walnut cut, but I just don't think it will be ready. I'm still cutting and splitting this pine and I'm pretty sure it will be ready to go by this fall. I have about 2 cords of good hardwood that I can burn, too, but it's stacked behind the pine, lol. Definitely not ahead like I should be.

Scrambling kinda describes how I'm going about it at this point, lol.

Scrambling? Naw, my woods drying. But picking up wood for next year on scrounge's, which has been quite fruitful here lately. Its been too hot lately to do a push, glad I did it earlier in the year.

I'm not scrambling, but I'm not great either. I've got enough wood split and stacked for this winter and I think I'll have about 1 1/2 cords left over for next winter. The only issue I have is it's not all seasoned. We'll see what happens. Some of it is good and seasoned, but not all of it. We'll see.

I'm still open to scrounging for seasoned stuff. Last September I scored like a cord of seasoned and split oak which was a huge help for that winter. That was incredible.

lukem said:
NATE379 said:

1 deer, 2 deer.

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish. LOL Now you know I have a 2 year old and 4 year old.

Me, I am scrambling like crazy. I have 1.4 cords (i.e., 15' x 6' x 2') stacked with a small second stack started out. have a little over a truckload split sitting at my parents and waiting to be hauled up here this weekend or next week. Will probably be getting another cord next week. I have a bunch of wood left to c/s/s at a client's place down the road. I should be a year ahead by the end of the year, but who knows. Might even end up 2 years ahead, but time will tell.

My big issue right now is hoping that this stuff dries enough before I need to start using it. Hoping to get some dead dry stuff from that client mentioned above because I know the trees have been down for 3+ years. I'll know a little more about that come the end of the month.

Scrambling? Naw. I got 4 cords dry and ready to burn this up comming season, and another 12 or so (still growing) seasoning for the next 3-4 years.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.