scrap lumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunks

Oct 27, 2009
Ulster Cty, NY
I have access to a lot of scrap lumber. Mostly 2 x 4s and 2 x 6s. Not treated. I have an old Jutual Combifire #1. Not a fancy stove at all. Is it ok to use the scrap lumber as firewood. Would it hurt the stove or the chimney?

You gonna get a lot of opinions on this one. Do a bit of searching and you will find a ton of answers. I dont think I'm as qualified as other people on here to put in my two cents....so......let the opinions fly !!!!

Its probably going to burn fast and hot. I personally would mix it in with some slower burning hard woods. I would use it to primarily get the fire up and running.

I concur with the otha Jerz boys, keep an eye on the stove temps also.

Sure, just watch the temps if you pack it in.

Feedstock for my stoves:

Attachments

• pallets.jpg
    pallets.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 462
adrpga498 said:

Yep , what they said

Birdman1 said:
adrpga498 said:

Yep , what they said

If you have some questionable splits, as far as dryness, throw 'em in with it...

gzecc said:
Its probably going to burn fast and hot. I personally would mix it in with some slower burning hard woods. I would use it to primarily get the fire up and running.

Agreed . . . I often use scrap lumber for use in getting a fire up and running.

I don't think I would cram the whole firebox full of this stuff though.

R.J. Frost builder said:
keep an eye on how clean your chimney is to, the pine lumber will make more creosote

HehHeh . . . I was wondering how long it would take for one of the recent newbies to bring this up. ;) :)

And let's not forget that burning pine and pine lumber will also lead to baldness . . . I know since I've been burning pine in my stove this Fall and I'm going bald . . . burning pine is the only viable reason for this that I can come up with . . . well maybe that and the males in my family are all balding. :)

I would burn it. It will get a fire hot quickly, but not last as long as hardwood, so a mix would be ideal. The lumber scraps are pine or other softwood, kiln dried, and in small sizes, all of which will make it burn faster than typical firewood. Use lumber scraps for startup or quick heat, cordwood for longer fires. Lumber scraps usually split really nicely into small kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.