scratch the f500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skamp

May 18, 2008
south eastern ct.
Hi
Hope every ones doing fine.
Well I'm back again . Had to scratch the oslow 500 due to Clarence issues.
I'm now looking into the Hearthstone Homestead. The homestead seems to be the only free stander the will fit into my fireplace and meet codes. The problem is that my living room is not to large 20x13. I could put the oslow in but only if i set it out side of the fireplace which would be aesthetically awful.
So here we go again. I've seen that some of you folks on the forum own the homestead. I was wondering if you would give your opinions about the stove because I've read good and bad and am having a hard time making a decision.
Some of the negative things I've read about the stove are poor construction,loose door handles. smoke billows out when you open the door, short burn-times and not burning standard wood splits effectively.
I'm not trying to berate the stove because it looks like my only option as far as putting a wood stove where I want it.
Would really appreciate you feedback. PS. Update on house size 1540 sq.ft.

Thank you. Steve

Did you look into the short leg kit for the Jotul? With the short legs the Homestead and the Oslo are darn near identical in height, if height was the clearance problem.

skamp said:
...Had to scratch the oslow 500 due to Clarence issues...

Steve, why don't you just tell Clarence to stop minding your business and go mind his own? :grrr: Rick

The reason I brought up the short leg it it is that even though the F500 with stock legs requires a 31" high opening, the short leg kit lowers the top of the stove 2 1/4" inches so that should allow it to fit in a 30" fireplace.

The stock stove is a little over 28" high so it would be around 26" inches to the highest point on the flue collar with the short legs.

Just a thought. I own no stock in Jotul.

Just kidding. I don't think life has to be serious all the time. In fact, if it were, I'd be bored to tears with it. I know that we all have to comply with clearance requirements, whether they be hard physical clearances or safety clearances. I wish you the best in your quest. Rick

BrotherBart said:
The reason I brought up the short leg it it is that even though the F500 with stock legs requires a 31" high opening, the short leg kit lowers the top of the stove 2 1/4" inches so that should allow it to fit in a 30" fireplace.

The stock stove is a little over 28" high so it would be around 26" inches to the highest point on the flue collar with the short legs.

Just a thought. I own no stock in Jotul.
Thanks Brother bart. That makes total sense. I will be going up to the store tommoro with a diagram of the fireplace. Hopefully they will agree with the point you make.

fossil said:
Just kidding. I don't think life has to be serious all the time. In fact, if it were, I'd be bored to tears with it. I know that we all have to comply with clearance requirements, whether they be hard physical clearances or safety clearances. I wish you the best in your quest. Rick
I understandand thanks for the reply Rick but I'm just not in the mood right now for screwing around. I really just need all the help I can get,not stuff to get me worked up. After I get this thing installed,up and running I'll have time for all kinds of humor. I really do have a great sense of humor too.

"Clarence" with the capitalization was funny. :lol:

Bart's idea sounds like a good one worth pursuing. Let us know how it works out. Best of luck. Rick

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1213747747"]"Clarence" with the capitalization was funny. :lol:[/quote Actually have to aplogize to Fossil. Fossil I just noticed the spelling error. Cheers to you,that was funny! :lol:

What the heck's Clarence thinking? Tell that jerk to hit the road and get busy solving the clearance problem. :) Rick

By Jove, I think you've got it, skamp...we sincerely want to help to the extent each of us is capable, but we also like to enjoy ourselves along the way, as opportunities present themselves. Welcome, and keep us posted. Rick

skamp said:
Thanks Rick. Just kicked him to the curb. Now on with c l e a r e n c e s. ;-)

While your at it, check the c l e a r a n c e s too, Clarence :)

To Clarencfy some other issues too, I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear about smoke billowing into the room and unburned splits being a stove issue re the Homestead. Its at least as likely that they are chimney and wood quality issues repectively. However I hope you receive clearance for the Oslo, and Clarence doesn't bother you anymore, cause that's a stove I'd be proud to own..Best of luck ..uh..Steve?

Thanks guy's :cheese: For making me feel at home. Building inspector had day off today,will probably have to wait untill Friday to speak to him. Clarence's are all accounted for. ;-)

Is "Clarence" related to Murphy?

I believe I've seen them traveling together.

Skamp--this place is special, as you will no doubt discover.

Best of luck with your install.

Status
Not open for further replies.