Screens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
If I don't get my ash door or front door completely closed I end up cooking my stovepipe. How do people run screens without overfiring their stove? Do you cut down the draft? If so, how do you keep smoke from pouring out the front?

Matt

Having an option for a screen was one of my requirements when I was shopping for a stove. Now that the stove is installed and I have been using it for a while, I couldn't really imagine using a screen. I think smoke would poor out the top and ash would spill out the front after several hours of burning.

Anyone brave enough to give it a go? Seems like a messy experiment.

PS - Jotul Oslo here.

I got the screen with the F3 and I had one for the Sierra for twenty years. I used the one with the Sierra twice that I can recall, when we had guests, and have only used the one with the F3 once. Smoke coming out of either wasn't a problem and certainly not overheating. They pull in so much air that neither the stoves nor the flues got hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.