Screw the RAIN!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I decided that if I can cut wood when it's muggy then I can mill in the rain, either way you get soaked. Milled seven nine foot hemlock boards today, still have two full logs and one partial that we hope to finish by the end of next week if not before.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3838.jpg
    100_3838.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 572
  • 100_3839.jpg
    100_3839.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 583
  • 100_3840.jpg
    100_3840.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 583
  • 100_3841.jpg
    100_3841.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 569
  • 100_3842.jpg
    100_3842.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 591
  • 100_3843.jpg
    100_3843.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 569
Good work Zap. If you didn't get wet enough you can always jump in to that brook.

Hey, it was just like fall here today. I hope you get it too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work Zap. If you didn't get wet enough you can always jump in to that brook.

Hey, it was just like fall here today. I hope you get it too.

Yesterday Sav the brook was way down, but today she is rolling real good and still on the rise.

zap

Hope your not getting "board" standing out there in the rain..............LOL

Hey Zap, what kind of finish are you getting because in the pics it looks pretty smooth? I was wondering if you'll need to plane them or can you use them as they are becasue they look pretty sweet from here.

rottiman said:
Hope your not getting "board" standing out there in the rain..............LOL

Felt good getting a shower from mother nature, all I needed was a bar of soap.

zap

Feels like summer ended today zap, and like a week of rain coming. Wouldn't you know, I was supposed to get a bunch of concrete done in the barn and about 150 feet of additional driveway. Starting the delay process.

By the way your milling is looking great. I guess you are liking your new chain sharpener. What model did you get and how often are you having to replace chains?

maxed_out said:
Hey Zap, what kind of finish are you getting because in the pics it looks pretty smooth? I was wondering if you'll need to plane them or can you use them as they are becasue they look pretty sweet from here.

It's good but we do get a mark when I stop and start. I'm not sure if we will plane the wood on the outside but the wood on the inside of the cabin will. Should have the plans for the cabin this week so we will have a better idea what we need for the inside flooring and walls.

Have my eye on a planer, just need to do some research on what to look for.

zap

GolfandWoodNut said:
Feels like summer ended today zap, and like a week of rain coming. Wouldn't you know, I was supposed to get a bunch of concrete done in the barn and about 150 feet of additional driveway. Starting the delay process.

By the way your milling is looking great. I guess you are liking your new chain sharpener. What model did you get and how often are you having to replace chains?

109179 Bench chain grinder with hydraulic assist from Oregon. I like this model,my first chain I did was one of my older ones, so far not one chain has been replaced or ruined (smokins been a big help) I've talked with Oregon a couple of times and they actually have a video on sharpening they will send you.

I was worried on sharpening the ripping chains but taking your time plus with the help of a caliper I'm taking off the minimum.

zap

Your pics inspired me Zap. Irene left me some hemlock to play with and I caught the guys just as they were going to throw it in the truck. They were more than happy to not have to dispose of it.

Attachments

• 090611 Irene's hemlock logs.jpg
    090611 Irene's hemlock logs.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 357
Keep stacking, it goes quick once you hear the electric tools fire up!

SolarAndWood said:
Your pics inspired me Zap. Irene left me some hemlock to play with and I caught the guys just as they were going to throw it in the truck. They were more than happy to not have to dispose of it.

Solar; will the Hemlock be for milling?

zap

smokinjay said:
Keep stacking, it goes quick once you hear the electric tools fire up!

After this weekend we should be stickering in a new area. It looks like the weather will be nice both days.

zap

zapny said:

Yep, those will be the training logs.

Good deal, we will be waiting for pictures.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

Yep, those will be the training logs.

No training get it right out of the box! Do your home work pop the top and the rest is just trigger time!

smokinjay said:
Do your home work

never was too good at that, more of a test taker

Rain dont bother me too much,I draw the line at working when lightning & high winds show up though.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Do your home work

never was too good at that, more of a test taker

Just the first run right.....Nothing to it after that. (until you build something) ;-)

Thistle said:
Rain dont bother me too much,I draw the line at working when lightning & high winds show up though.

Lightning and high winds I stay out of the woods.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.