Screwed at a discount!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Tired of looking on CL and having people trying to screw me ("You seem awfully concerned about moisture. It's good wood. If I get up there and you don't take it, there's gonna be trouble."). Etc.

So saw some on the side of the road at night that looked good. Called the guy, was told that it was $100 for a 4x4x4 pallet. Ok, a bit high, but I had taken the MM to a couple of pieces and registered at 15%. 20 min away, i get down there and measure the pallet, and get 4*3*3 or so. I already drove down there, it was dry wood, so I offered $80. Guy counters for $90. I get in my truck to leave, and he accepts. So I definitely paid too much, but at least I have some legit seasoned hard wood (he says oak, i have no idea), and at least I found out I was getting shorted before I paid I guess. Also, about half the wood is too long for my 17" firebox (though I can use some in the 20" box) so I gotta still cut a bunch. This is why I usually do stuff myself. Found a guy that has a ton of land that he'll let me clear for next year...

Anyway, I was tired of looking and tired of cutting pallets, so be it.

Mike, it might be possible that the pile was bigger when he stacked it. It will shrink quite a bit with just the moisture going out of it. I hope it is good wood for you. Good that you found some other place to get your wood.

If you got some good wood I do not believe you got screwed. You may have paid a bit more than you wanted but my logic is you could have done worse. I have purchased wood several times and many others on this site will say the same, I have not come out on the fair end of the deal. To make my example more effective, I own my own tree company and I have had to purchase wood.... Just do what you can to get ahead for the next year by cutting as much as you can and get as much processed as you can.

Backwoods Savage said:
Mike, it might be possible that the pile was bigger when he stacked it. It will shrink quite a bit with just the moisture going out of it. I hope it is good wood for you. Good that you found some other place to get your wood.
Doubt the pallet shrunk to 3x3', but thanks for making me feel better! :)

Huh, I was actually looking for one of those enviro-brick or whatever deals around here. Doesn't seem like a bad price. I'll give it a shot if I run out of this stuff this year. Ellwood-Thompson is right down the street from me...

IF you got screwed?
You screwed yourself. 2 times.
1. You handed over the coin AFTER knowing ALL the facts about what you bought.
2. You don't have at least a 2 year supply of wood ready. The right MC and cut the right length.
I like how you answered your own question.
If you don't like the price CYOFW.

shamelessLEE said:
IF you got screwed?
2. You don't have at least a 2 year supply of wood ready. The right MC and cut the right length.

I didn't ask IF I got screwed. In fact, I don't think there was even a question posed in my post.

But thanks for your incredibly informative and constructive comments :

If I could see 2 years into the future, I probably wouldn't need to bother with thinking about a wood supply.

I plan on CMOFW. Again, see point about clairvoyance.

So now I have a question for you. What day next week are you going to your friends property to start cutting for next year? Sorry but I had a good friend ask the same question back in September when I was saying that I did not have enough wood for this year.... It was good motivation, I now have 3.5-4 cords c/s/s. To solve this years problem I purchased energy logs. I do not like to purchase wood for fear of getting taken, but as I said before I have done it.

shamelessLEE said:
Around here you don't pull out a measure tape and forget about pulling out some moisture meter unless you want the moisture in your ass measured for you. Mind you, I buy logs by the truckload and I B/S/SMOFW.
If it's too long, I have only myself to blame.
Too wet? Well... again, only myself to blame.
Too expensive? It is what it is. If I don't like it, I could go CMODFW.

When I thank my wood monger and hand him 12 crisp $100 bills, he doesn't stop to count it. He just shoves it in his pocket.

nola mike said:
shamelessLEE said:
IF you got screwed?

I didn't ask IF I got screwed. In fact, I don't think there was even a question posed in my post.

But thanks for your incredibly informative and constructive comments :

If I could see 2 years into the future, I probably wouldn't need to bother with thinking about a wood supply.

I plan on CMOFW. Again, see point about clairvoyance.

Title of thread iz,,,,,,, "screwed at a discount" . duh!

Eye can C 2 years in2 yur future.
If U have a stove U will need wood.

Ok Got the measurements got the right moisture got a discount! and got "Screwed at a discount!" If I ever need wood I like Your Guy!

Wow. For a site known for its patience and willingness to help newbs, there sure are some grumpy @ssh0le$ posting in this thread. As the original poster stated, he did not foresee needing dry wood this year, i.e.- new to burning and not yet several years ahead. We all burned our first fire one day in our lifetime, and on that day, its more than likely that we weren't 2 years ahead on our supply. Furthermore, back when I did have to purchase wood, YBYA I brought my moisture meter with me, and if the seller "tried to measure the moisture in my ass" , as stated by a previous poster, that seller is the one that surely would be searching for his teeth amongst his woodpile.
Nola mike- allow me to apologize to you for the rest of us on Hearth.com for the unruly few that would rather spend their time boasting of their "superior woodyness", rather than helping a fellow woodburner in need. We've all been beginners at one time, and needed help and advice to become more educated woodburners. This is the place to find that guidance, despite the earlier responses you recieved. Burn on , Brother! :)
The VAST majority of people on this site are only here to offer kind guidance. Do not let a bad apple or two ruin the pie.

LOL, ok, B4 a mod gets involved . . .

Explaining to a new wood buyer that bringing a MM to a sale is asking for trouble . . .well, that is helpful. Some people here talk like they make decisions based on a MM. I bet it'd be safe to say all of us burn what we have, not what we wish we had. I don't sell FW. And WWTUOA today anyway?? But if I did sell FW, I would not negotiate price based on your MM. I know what burns and what don't. Want to use your MM? All you have to do is look around the boards. Supply and demand. And FW is clearly a sellers market. Put the stupid MM away :long:

I think you will find pretty quickly that you do not need a moisture meter to see if wood is relatively seasoned or not. Wood ID, color, sound are going to tell you just about everything you need to know...

....and when the "seller" insists his wood has been split for two years and clearly knows NOTHING about moisture content -----> sees you stick the MM in his split and it rings out at 50% ?? "Oh, I guess this must be from the fresh split pile". B.S.!! I know when MY wood is seasoned ,too. But to prove to the SELLER that his product is not seasoned with mere words is futile,at best. Liars are liars are liars. I don't blame the customer, although I do advocate that buyers educate themselves. I guess its just silly (?!?!) to expect honesty and integrity from others that share this planet.

wood-fan-atic said:
....and when the "seller" insists his wood has been split for two years and clearly knows NOTHING about moisture content -----> sees you stick the MM in his split and it rings out at 50% ?? "Oh, I guess this must be from the fresh split pile". B.S.!! I know when MY wood is seasoned ,too. But to prove to the SELLER that his product is not seasoned with mere words is futile,at best. Liars are liars are liars. I don't blame the customer, although I do advocate that buyers educate themselves. I guess its just silly (?!?!) to expect honesty and integrity from others that share this planet.

Well in this case he did take it with a measureing tape aswell and the seller is still wrong according to the OP title to the thread.....Take Whatever you want but dont be pissy when you get what you want.

Take it, or leave it. If you want the wood, pay and load and go home. If you don't want the wood, go home now.

Fortunatly life is not as melodramatic as using a moisture meter to check to see if your wife is actually gay :-/

Looks to me like the OP can't do math in his head. Probably should have brought a calculator along as well.

Seller advertised a 4'x4'x4' stack (64 cu ft, 1/2 cord) for $100 so that's 64/$100=$1.5625 per cu ft. BTW, I think $200 a cord for seasoned cut/split is a good price.

Actual stack purported to be 4'x3'x3' (36 cu ft) times $1.5625=$56.25 so that's how he got "screwed at a discount" but he screwed himself because he offered the seller $80.

I say, a deal is a deal if both parties agree. If later you have buyer's remorse, don't cry that you got screwed because you can't do math in your head.

Wow, this is getting funny. Don't know why anyone would get pissy if you bring a MM or tape to verify what the seller is telling you. In about 6 transactions so far, the seller has misrepresented goods. Caveat emptor and all. I don't get upset when someone counts the $ I give them. Interesting that these same people would say it's your own fault if you DON'T verify the wood you're getting. Seller's market for sure, so I decided that I'd go ahead and renegotiate and pay a premium, because 40 min of my time is worth something. Again, just posting my experience to help others. My experience is that there are more dishonest, or at least uneducated sellers than the reverse. Next year I'll have good wood, cut/ split like I want it...

wood-fan-atic said:
allow me to apologize...
I don't need any ash hoe apologizing for me. I'm so sick of you urban wood burners complaining about craigslist this and craigslist that and every seller is a crook! Don't have an acre to store a decent supply of firewood? Then just stay hooked to the grid or grin and bear it.

LLigetfa said:
Looks to me like the OP can't do math in his head. Probably should have brought a calculator along as well.

Seller advertised a 4'x4'x4' stack (64 cu ft, 1/2 cord) for $100 so that's 64/$100=$1.5625 per cu ft. BTW, I think $200 a cord for seasoned cut/split is a good price.

Actual stack purported to be 4'x3'x3' (36 cu ft) times $1.5625=$56.25 so that's how he got "screwed at a discount" but he screwed himself because he offered the seller $80.

I say, a deal is a deal if both parties agree. If later you have buyer's remorse, don't cry that you got screwed because you can't do math in your head.

Did you do those calculations in your head Rainman? Where are you wood whisperers getting any tone of crying/remorse/etc in my post? Seller misrepresented, but I already had 40 min into the transaction. Had he accurately represented what he was selling from the get go, I probably wouldn't have made the trip. I promise you the seller had no conception of the math, and wouldn't have gone for $56--I was gauging the seller as well. And since I could fit 1/3 cord in my truck, but would have made 2 trips for 1/2 cord, that was another reason to do it. Whole point being, it would have been worse had I not double checked things, but there are a lot of dishonest people out there. Watch your back.

nola mike said:
Did you do those calculations in your head Rainman?
No, I used a calculator but then again, I had one at my fingertips. I did however do a calculation "in my head" on the exact cu ft. 4'x3'x3' is easy enough to do. I was off a couple of dollars though on my guesstimate.

I agree that the seller misrepresented what he was selling but I reiterate that a deal is a deal if both parties agree. You have a right to complain about the misrepresentation. You have a right to complain about 40 minutes of your time spent. You don't have a right to complain that you were Screwed at a discount!

Status
Not open for further replies.